The journey begins - purchased a truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by blairandgretchen, Dec 10, 2014.

1. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    That is how to start off for sure.
    I own every piece of iron in the yard, the shop and house are loan free to. If the money isn't right it can sit as I have no bills. Not much is new and flashy, 70% is old iron, but its paid for.
    Congratulations on the new ride.

HopeOverMope, Lepton1, Feedman and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    First let me say your dad was lucky to walk away from that wreck. I'll say a prayer or two for him.

Other than that, beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing these with us. That's a country I would like to visit some day. I met a 14 year old kid from there last December on a flight to LA. I was flying back out to go to the Rose Bowl and he and his family were leaving OKC to go to Disney. They flew from NZ to OKC just to go see the thunder play basketball because of Steven Adams who is from NZ. I couldn't believe they would take a vacation for that. They did do some other stuff while they were in America but basketball was the main reason for the trip. You New Zealanders are strange. Lol.

Lepton1, sawmill, Oxbow and 4 others Thank this.
  4. Geronimo17

Geronimo17 Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Great thread. Truly a model to learn from. Hope your Dad pulls through and back to 100%.

5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Put on a pair of big boy pants and went to work again.

Now, I left September 23rd, and returned about October 21st - and granted, 3 legal loads, but got the impression things had cooled off some. Mainly to stave off the Landstar charges that had accumulated, and just get back into the game. All said and done it created a paycheck last week.

Relaxing on a sunny Sunday afternoon, I made the mistake/decision of answering the phone and helping out on an SOS/rescue load. The agent was known, had provided good revenue in the past - not many choices left for them, so off I went.

Got some sleep, up at 11pm Sunday - 410 miles to York,NE to grab the BCO's step deck, and off to UT - 910 miles.

I priced it at $2.40/mile on the LS board all miles - deadhead to get it, deliver, return his trailer, and bobtail home. Didn't want to take my trailer and risk having him mess something up - or disappear with it, didn't want to gouge the guy either - just what I thought was fair. But - $1.80 TTT/all miles puts a hurting on my figures so far this year. Never mind, it'll come out in the wash.

Turns out he's still left with $1500 on the board to drag it 750 miles, but the (government) shipper doesn't pay crud for FSC, nor accept breakout charges to make it better for me.

Some guys have been known to take the whole lot - which is a bit harsh - but, unless the agent or LS is willing to cough up some extra dough, then business is business especially if the driver has to drop everything and go, possibly hundreds of miles. I left him with some for his troubles, and pulled a step deck with ramps for the first time.

Problem was - had to get it there ASAP. Tried sleeping between 1pm and 11pm last night - not much luck there. Pulled it the final 620 miles today with a 2 hour nap. PC 2 hours and a remaining 30 minutes got me to Evanston, WY, and boy am I whooped. That whole driving 'like the devil is after you' stuff is for the birds.

Think I'll go chase some OS/OD loads next week, and deal with the shorter days instead !

sawmill, Elroythekid, Terry270 and 8 others Thank this.
  6. 1nicevette

1nicevette Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Blair sounds like you beat your self up. Never have been a fan of driving at night

Tug Toy and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  7. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    If you never drive at night you miss all the spectacular meteors.

8. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    When you're driving at night, all the slow poke oversize loads are parked an not in the way.

:biggrin_25523:

9. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Not all oversized loads are slow, at least not the crowd I run with.

RedForeman, sawmill, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  10. 1nicevette

1nicevette Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Old mans right if there’s not a speed restrictions on my permits I’m the speed limit all the way till I have to stop

11. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    A90C4375-84B5-44C4-96CD-83149B93EA55.png

10.5 hours of daylight right now demands throttle.

Terry270, Lepton1, RedForeman and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.