The new Walmart fleet vs. the old.

Discussion in 'Wal-Mart' started by 345_Magnum, Feb 12, 2018.

1. 345_Magnum

345_Magnum Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Area 51
    Greetings folks,

When I came on board the private fleet almost 27 years ago, it was an exciting change of pace for me. I was an owner operator for 17 years and didn't really know what to expect as a company man. The interview process was like being vetted for a job with the C.I.A. and after I was hired, many friends of mine could not believe Walmart took me in. Not because I wasn't qualified, but because I was known as a "not liking to be told what to do" kind of guy. I was at that stage when it was time to start building towards future retirement and that profit sharing plan really was fitting the bill for me.

On day one of orientation it was made clear to all of us that we were now part of the Walmart family. A family with a boatload of rules, but a family none the less. Management made every effort to make us all feel good about being here with one goal in mind, supporting our # 1 customer, the stores! Back then we were all told that the fleet operates in the red and Mr. Sam didn't care because if we took care of our stores, the stores would take care of the fleet. Mr. Sam's philosophy apparently was working because it made him insanely rich. This philosophy was hard to comprehend because we were hauling many store loads over 500 miles one way and told to deadhead on home as we had very few or no back-hauls available. As we all know, the philosophy today is very different.

When Mr. Sam passed away in 1992, Bentonville announced to us not to worry, things aren't going to change but that's exactly when the changes began. One old policy was if you returned to the D.C. with two hours or less on your ten, you could go home for the night. That was kind of nice but not mandatory. Now all of a sudden, if you had 15 minutes left to drive, you were put on a pull ahead and had to gate out and layover outside the D.C. No more nights at the house during the week.

Then the importance of back-hauls began. It didn't matter if the vender had the load ready or not, you usually were made to wait until it was. That's about the time J.B. Hunt started hauling store loads for us because we were tied up in Los Angeles waiting for a back-haul. Then the rumors started that Walmart was getting rid of the fleet and Hunt, Swift, Knight and Schneider were taking over. It wasn't true but the rumors were out there none the less.

In August of 1994 the fleet announced newly hired drivers would start out 5 cents less per mile and achieve full pay in 5 years. When I started all Walmart drivers with 14 years or less were paid the same. Drivers 15 years or more received an extra penny per mile. That's because Mr. Sam said "If you're doing the same amount of work, you get the same amount of pay. The 15 or more years drivers got the extra penny for loyalty. I have no clue how this 38 cents per mile, reduced activity and slip seating announced last October is going to work by drawing qualified applicants.

All these other policy changes in the last few years regarding on board collision prevention, cameras and cell phones are directly because of the lawyers. Everyone hates it, but unfortunately Walmart owns the trucks so we have to take it.

My set run will be gone March 9 and that really ticks me off. I worked hard, paid my dues and earned that run. Now after all these years there isn't even an FLW. Every decent fleet has bid runs and what's sad is Walmart drivers don't even have that to look forward to. The set runs we had at our office were not "gravy" by any means. They were a minimum of 13 hour days, zero empty miles and only one run brought the driver in daily. The real upside was not having to deal with the ROC.

I am very fortunate that I will be able to keep my truck and a 5-2 schedule. We have some folks with 20+ years who will not be as fortunate and believe me, they are really unhappy.

I'm really trying not to go off on a rant about Walmart. Over the years this has been a really good place to work. Thankfully my local management team has been just wonderful. I'm friends with all of AP, the coordinators and everyone out in the shop as well. I have thought about quitting, but common sense tells me to just sit tight. I could get another job tomorrow that pays relatively equally but that would mean starting completely over and I am too old to be at the bottom somewhere else.

I don't think the Home Office wants to dump the private fleet but feel they do want to weed out senior drivers. We cost too much money for them in pay scale and PTO. Bentonville is notorious for cooking up big ideas and having them implode so I will just ride out this recent storm and maybe in 6 months to a year senior management will reverse some of this.

Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    I think the collision prevention, and cameras all stem from the Roper wreck. That and the insipid fatigue training we all had to snooze through.

TransplantBadger and 345_Magnum Thank this.
  4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I talk from time to time with a guy that's been there a while, and he reflects pretty much exactly what you've posted.

He's bought a truck and is quietly plotting his exit.

Believe you me, I know how hard it is to leave a company job that was once comfortable - we did it for different reasons, and I'm glad we weren't forced to by resentful, growing hatred of a master/employer that was once a pleasure to serve.

Good luck Sir.

5. 345_Magnum

Feb 11, 2018
    Area 51
    A few years ago our old safety man said Bentonville would not install cameras because it gave opposing lawyers discover-able evidence in case if it was our fault. Shortly after that statement, cameras were installed on the Hermiston team trucks running to Alaska. The reasoning was they were too far away for fleet safety to do a complete investigation. Now we all have cameras. Another fine example of senior management logic.

6. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    Jim Noble told us in a meeting if he had his way the cameras would have been there 2 years ago. Both outboard and driver facing. His career as a lawyer shows ;)

foggy and TransplantBadger Thank this.
  7. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    would you guys agree that whats happening at walmart is whats happening in society in general? less freedom, more rules and regulations, not just in trucking but a complete decay of life as we know it.

JadeLove, RookieJ1987, NYVET and 6 others Thank this.
  8. Voyager55

Voyager55 Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Magnum, your coments are spot on. Anybody considering driving here should heed your words carefully. In my opinion, drivers with 20+ years with WM will be hard to find, by the end of this year. They want younger and dumber not seasoned, and long term professionals.

9. Hammerdowntrucker

Hammerdowntrucker Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Very well written out sir. I have been with the fleet for 4 yrs. I work out of one of the California DC's we stay very busy always in the SoCal traffic. Sometimes the ROC will throw me a bone and keep me north all week. Yes I fell your pain, It is a real low blow. Myself as a newer driver with only 4 years at the fleet feel's pretty bad of what has happened. I slipped seated for 10 months finnanly I was assign my own tractor I even jump for joy. I was then able to have a FLW that was good, picked a few stores that kept me out of SoCal for a day or 2 sometimes all week. I look forward coming into work every week knowing it was goin to be a good day. Then that was gone, now we don't know our dispatch Intel we go to the window on our first day out. Really puts me in a bad mood if they give me a Torrance but thats what we have to do now, I just go do it.

I went in on Monday on my day off to get my bid sheet. Went throw it at first didn't understand it even asked a senior driver to help me understand it a little better at first he said only 86 drivers will get to keep there tractors I was really upset at hearing that. I went home and really looked hard at it I come up with 96 drivers will keep there tractors as of this week our DC has 210 drivers. I am right on the edge. I bid on 4am Tuesday through Saturday 5/2 I know not a whole lot of guys like to come in and start that early. Hoping that I will keep me in my tractor. I have a very Clean and polished out truck I take a pride in cleanness It's going to be like getting my car repoed if I lose my tractor and forced to take one of there three programs and have to share trucks with others. I just don't know what to do stay quit go back over the road. I like what its is now on my days off my wife can work part time and I can stay home with the my little kids. Now with this change it's going to screw all that up. Especially if I have to take a 5/2 or 5/3.

As far as the new guy's hiring on @ .38 pre mile it's starting to look like to me they get what they pay for I have seen some sloppy looking driver's just in the last few months.

10. 345_Magnum

Feb 11, 2018
    Area 51
    Well, after finally seeing the new schedule and bids available this week it's apparent that Bentonville wants us old hands gone. Every single 5/2, at least at our office, means no more weekends off. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and a couple Sunday out's is it. This blows chunks for a lot of drivers at our office because church on Sunday is huge for them. I'm not a church goer but I will miss my football.

I've talked with about 20 drivers since Tuesday to see how they felt about the new schedule and every single person was really unhappy. Including some newer drivers! One guy said his GTM mentioned after returning from that meeting in Bentonville that senior management stated if this new system fails, the fleet will be gone. That's very disheartening.

11. Hammerdowntrucker

Hammerdowntrucker Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2017
    No more Inbound inspections on the trailers, no more green cards to give to AP on the way out of the gate. No fueler's to fuel, its all on us to inspect each trailer we bring into the yard after we zone it. Seems to me this is going to be a big mistake getting rid of the guys that inbound the trailers what the heck are they thinking. I guess 42 million a year is what they think they will save by doing all this change.

Our DC will be cutting 10 trucks from the fleet with the driver count at around 200 give or take a few. I notice today that our safety guy had the road test truck out. I think they are antisapating some drivers quitting. Myself may be one of them, I do not want to share a truck with 3 other guy's it is just not for me.
    I have even notice with the cuts already in place just walking around the yard how dirty things are, trash and debri all over in the back. Around our stem bay to wash the trucks is just a big glob of grease. When our DC had the Temps the ones that fueled the trucks they would go around the DC and keep things tidy never had trash around.

It is sad to see the beginning of the end of the Private Fleet. When I first came to Walmart 4 years ago
    I had great expectations of the Fleet thinking this would be my last driving job. Now I must move on even with the pay cut I will be getting at my next job. Money isn't always every thing but I will survive good luck to all you drivers that will stay to the end.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.