The Old Man's Advice

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by LtlAnonymous, Jul 31, 2020.

1. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    So I see some folks struggling on here with how to navigate a trucking career. In particular, a recent post from @DARKNIGHTRUCKER reminded me that there are rookies on here, and we veterans need to pass our knowledge and experience on to the next generation.

When I was a young rookie, I met a guy at a truck stop who completely changed everything for me. You can read the story here: A misunderstanding that still haunts me.

He asked me to pass on what he told me when I found my way, and though I often try to do that in person, this site is also a great way to reach a bunch of people with his thoughts.

So another big thank you to the old man, let's honor him with another post... and if you find this advice to be as good as I did, I will tell you exactly what he told me: pass it on. We don't have apprenticeships in this industry, only training from companies who will lie straight to your face. A little wisdom outside the lines goes a long way.

1. Get experience. Now this one seems obvious, but you need to have a goal in mind while you're getting that experience. Learn how to drive the truck, get smooth with everything, and make the truck an extension of yourself. Once everything is second nature, you're ready to make a move.

2. Specialize. This is what you should have been paying attention to during the first step. Tanker, flatbed, LTL, hazmat, livestock, reefer, construction, garbage, owner op, etc.

These first two steps are separate because a lot of people start off in dry van OTR. I did as well, so they were separate for me. If you start off hauling flatbed as a rookie, obviously you can combine these first two steps. You started off in a specialized area.

You want to specialize because the mega carriers have destroyed dry van OTR because it's the most simplified version of trucking. A rookie can do it, so they will pay rookie rates regardless of your experience, because they can always replace you with a rookie tomorrow.

And you can already see some of the mega carriers trying to get involved in reefer work. That leads me to a really good quote the old man had.

"If you see a mega carrier doing it, run the other way."

If they have somehow figured out how to idiot-proof some other sector of trucking, then they are going to drive down pay in that sector. End of story.

3. Progress. In every specialized sector of trucking, there are levels of companies. Chances are, if a specialized company took on a rookie with two years of dry van experience, they are not going to be the top-paying company in that sector.

Now if you lucked out and got in with a really good company, stay there. That happens, and more power to you.

4. Refine. This is a tricky one to explain, and often completely optional if you find a good general specialty company. So let me just show you some examples of specialized progression.

Tanker -> Fuel -> Cryo

Flatbed -> Equipment -> Heavy haul

LTL -> FedEx/UPS (my road)

Car hauling -> boat hauling (what the old man did)

So the progression would go Generalized, Specialized, Niche. Do something weird. If any idiot can do it, they will pay any idiot like an idiot to do it.

Now there are all sorts of levels to this advice. You could be an owner-operator doing dry van OTR, and make a killing. The highest-paying company in your sector could be really difficult to work for or just be a terrible fit for you.

I think the one thing this advice does is make you look at your career as a progression. Nowhere does it say that you should go from Werner to Swift to Knight to Schneider to CR England hoping that one of them will pay you 3 cpm more than the last mega. They are all terrible to their company drivers.

This advice also assumes that you keep your nose clean. If you get into an accident within the first 6 months of driving, this advice goes out the window, and you are at a crossroads: stay in the industry at ridiculously low pay rates at a second-chance company until a good company is willing to take a risk on you, or go do something else.

Personally? I would have left. I may have time, but I don't have patience. Sometimes wisdom is knowing that it's time to walk away.

None of this is written in stone, and it's not an exact template. Think of it as an exercise to get you thinking about what you really want to do in trucking, and how you're going to get there.

Safe travels, everyone. I hope you found this as valuable as I did. I shaped my whole career around this advice, and in the end I have zero complaints.

I'll see you around.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Good advice. I’m still a rookie but I can say I paid some dues. I called it learning the game. And my first bit of advice to anyone starting out is have some patience... Whatever you want is out there..
    There’s plenty of ways to truck. You must keep a clean record. No rollovers, no collisions, no speeding doing 55 in a 35. Become a professional driver and not just a person with a cdl. That means be on top of your pre/post trips, tripplanning. Calling customers beforehand to see if you can get unloaded early, somebody might’ve missed an appointment and you’re right down the street, or the unloaders are trying to get done early. Lastly learn To communicate with dispatch.
    Dispatch might be a nightmare but you must be able to prevent problems before they happen and CYA. If you’re with a mega learn your companies network of terminals, drop lots, maintenance facilities, tire banks. How they handle roadside repairs.
    With Schneider I thought they only did tires at Terminals or roadside, so I’ve lost a ton of hours do to drivers not writing em up and waiting on roadside when I could hit a tire bank and been in and out in 30 mins.
    If you can wait til you have a full 12 months of driving experience. Doesn’t mean you can’task around and take a good job if you find it but When looking only make vertical moves. By that I mean do not jump from swift just to go to jb hunt. Find companies that you know you wouldn’t mind working for them for the next how every many years. But all the doors open up at day 365. Ive had companies that trained people straight out of school tell me to call them back when I have my year. I’ve had atlas oil tell me 5 days before I had a year to call them back in 5 days even though I was out of town and wouldn’t be able to do anything official until got back in 6 days. Once I had a year clean I was offered by my current company, I had met the regional manager for Questliner at a tankwash and he wanted to hire me as they had a new dedicated account opening in my area guaranteed good money, and a standing offer from a local car hauling company if I could pass a drug test. Bottom line is it’s out there. Just gotta make it through that first year and make good decisions

NightWind, Brettj3876 and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  4. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
  5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I like van freight. We have a lot of it.

I considered getting into flatbed, but I look at some of the mixed menagerie some of those loads are and think, "Oh hell no."

I'm no spring chicken anymore either though, 55.

We do some fingerprinting which provides enough exercise for me.

I also see a lot of flats running around empty, and many empty in the winter.

I think if you were a younger guy getting into flats, then specialized would be a good route.

Gas can might be good.

I did concrete for 3 years and that is A LOT like work.

I tried chemical tanker, and didn't make it through the 3 week orientation. The rubber suit sweating your balls off wasn't for me, and several of the old hands showed of their chemical burns.

I did a guys local deliveries for about a year hourly. Didn't pay a whole lot, always around 70 hours a week, but there was a good amount of sleep time at docks. All straight time.

By far my best success is as an O/O doing van. Always $100K year. No one really on your ###.

Local companies have politics and cliques. That's not a good fit for me all.

The best advice never given to me when I started is:

1) Do not jump around your first year, it's the same #### with a different name on the door.

2) Think about where you want to be in 3 years as a professional driver.

3) You're first year is tough. You're options are very limited, and the mega puppy mills know this.

And this is the best life advice that was given to me:

1) Don't ever give a good God #### it about what anybody thinks of you.

2) You don't take any #### off of anybody.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  6. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    All spot on. and that's why I included owner operator as a type of specialty. Even if you're doing dry van as an owner-operator, you will still likely make money.

D.Tibbitt and 650cat425 Thank this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah but giving advice is really a problem when people have their mind made up and won't listen, just want to hear their idea is good and they qualify it.

I can point to a few examples, one is the girl with back and neck problems, people are encouraging her but that's stupid, I know from personal experience that a truck can put you out of service and bed ridden. I lost drivers who had back problems from this too.

Another is a guy who wants to buy a truck and become an o/o, totally unprepared and has no experience, focusing on the truck and ignoring all the other advice.

Long FLD, D.Tibbitt, 650cat425 and 3 others Thank this.
  8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    This WAS all great advice when truck drivers really wanted to be truck drivers, and not "the last game in town". With economic conditions today, just having a job is a priority, specialize later, if they make it in the basics of trucking, van work. ( no offense to vanners)We didn't have TTR, and the only way to learn , was to ask someone. Many times, and I've done this too, we'd do something wrong, it was the duty of an older, wiser driver, to lend a hand. It's what kept us together as a group. Don't have that today, the old timers are driving wheelchairs, and learning is up to people who have a vested interest in making money, teaching the basics goes out the window. Like, and I hate to keep picking on that poor driver, "what's that sneezing sound"? That tells me, the person has no idea how the air system works, an important part of trucking to leave out of learning. Bless the "old man", but he wasn't doing anything special. It's how we were as an industry, and I miss those days dearly.

NightWind, clausland, MACK E-6 and 4 others Thank this.
  9. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Being a new guy I’d like to add one thing in specialization.

Dry Van -> haz-mat-> tanker.

Having those endorsements can take you out of the mega carriers race to the bottom on freight rates. Hauling totes and haz-mat definitely has it peculiarities, but still can give you crisp clear sound of slamming a door.

10. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    So far my trucking career hasn't gone as planned. Still lucrative and I am still sure I want to be doing this until retirement.

I had a 3 year plan, do 2 years general freight dry and reefer then try to get on with an LTL doing linehaul locally. The first part of that went great, made the most money I have ever made in my life, saw most of the US and made it into Canada.

The LTL portion didn't pan out. No one would hire me. Other local jobs either didn't pay well or didn't offer job security so I am back doing OTR.

Following advice of many on here I decided to try a different more specialized segment and hired on with a tanker company. I am still waiting to be convinced it was the right move as dry van/reefer kept me busier and paid me way more.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that career progression doesn't always work out. Nothing wrong with never making that next step if you are satisfied with where you even if it's a starter company. I know I would have been better off financially and avoided disappointment if I had never left my first OTR company.

11. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    #2 Should say anybody but the OM.
    (Some will wonder who the OM is.)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.