The Truckers’ Report flatbed Hall of Shame.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by MACK E-6, Dec 11, 2017.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Also the point im trying to make is a flatbed driver should never be relient on a bulkhead to keep the load from moving. Most of us dont run with a bulkhead in the first place . To me i see it as a crutch and an excuse for guys to not secure correctly . U want to put ur life in the hands of a bulkhead by all means be my guest, but thats never been my mentality and never will be.

cke, 650cat425, Landincoldfire and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    It's called defense in depth in the security world. I doubt anyone is saying not to secure correctly. It's more an additional piece of help for if things do go wrong it helps to mitigate the damage.
    Can you honestly say it's worse to use the bulkhead to help prevent movement? Kinda like using rubber mats under coils. Is it strictly needed? No, but it helps. Should one rely on the rubber mat, the bulkhead, and for that matter only enough chains to meet the WLL rating? No, smart people use everything available and toss a few extra just in case. The bulkhead is the same. It's just a bit of extra insurance.

P.S. Can we get back to pictures of badly secured loads? :)

4. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Sir if u look back at where this conversation started about the video @daf105paccar posted. They were using the bulkhead as a means of securement. If u take away the bulkhead they will have an unsecured load. I am not saying a bulkhead is useless i am saying it does not apply to every load and it should not be used as a crutch or an excuse to throw less securement than necessary

Lostkeys, Kyle G., Tug Toy and 4 others Thank this.
  5. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I think there is maybe a verbiage misunderstanding. I think you’re referring to a headboard on the front of the trailer as a bulkhead. The other guys are referring to a object placed directly in front of a load, usually in direct contact, to prevent forward movement. This can be a stack of hardwood 4x4’s chained down, a metal brace like in those euro trucks, or those stop pegs shown for hauling mill rolls.

In a perfect world you would never have to use a bulkhead, your securement should do all the work.

Try panic stoping with a load of greasy bars that you can only use straps on. That bulkhead will save your ###.

cke, beastr123, 650cat425 and 4 others Thank this.
  6. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Headboard bulkhead , it is all the same concept. I have panic stopped with a load of greasy bars and it moved on me and i had a dunnage bulkhead. U can only build it so high.... I just want to know how a bulkhead or headboard will work on a load like this.?

Screenshot_20200803-220749.png

Also , where is the bulkhead or headboard with front overhang ? It doesnt exist .Being safe in flatbed is not only about understanding securement but knowing how to drive and leave urself outs so it never should come to the point of u making panic stops, which has been point this entire time. Im not going to have any sympathy for somebody driving up somebodys ### and has to make a panic stop and the load kills him. But i see it all day long...

Kyle G., Tug Toy and 650cat425 Thank this.
  7. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Obviously on loads that you can’t use a bulkhead, a bulkhead won’t be very effective. That’s not a what we are talking about.

8. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    These guys are putting their life in the hands of a headboard . The only securement is that net on the back. Which is what started this entire discussion. Would u guys run it like this ? Screenshot_20200907-083509.png
    Screenshot_20200907-083431.png

Kyle G., Tug Toy and 650cat425 Thank this.
  9. Landincoldfire

Landincoldfire Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    Personally for me just the net in the rear would not be enough.

650cat425 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

I worked in the shop for the company that designed them floor pins in 1999. They work beyond imagination.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Lostkeys, Tug Toy, cke and 5 others Thank this.
  11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I have an MSDS in the truck, but going off memory I think it is called Penta something or other.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.