The worst truck you have ever driven?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Dave1837, Jan 28, 2020.

1. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Million plus’s mole Columbia. Not the worst truck but the worst one I drove for an extended time. Had to wear my earplugs most of the time too. Stopped at the loves in Sioux Falls and opened the hood to check the oil and the headlight fell out. A half dozen zip ties later and off I went. I was thrilled when I got a new cascadia the next year.

Dave_in_AZ, Dave1837 and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    I'm in a spare truck right now since mines down for severe service. It's a 386 Pete with a 60 Series Detroit. I stopped at a FJ for the night last night and when I shut the truck down and did my post trip I checked the oil cause I noticed my oil pressure was low on the way there. Pulled the dipstick out and it was smoking lol bone dry. Took 5 gallons but it was full in the morning. This will be an interesting trip...

GoldenLad and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Most engines shut down when you lose three gallons.

If you needed five then you are in for a interesting trip.

5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    660 anteater or 660 - 11 yard mixer. Anteater is the only truck I've ever driven that had to stop before the summit and let it cool off. It was old.

The mixer had some CAT motor in it, and had to wind it up to like 10,000 rpms to do anything. It got 3.5 mpg.

Both had the turning radius of a guided missile cruiser.

blairandgretchen, Dave1837 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Years ago, inspections weren't what they are today, and it was the drivers responsibility to make sure it was safe:eek:. It's not that these were bad trucks, mostly just plumb wore out. For example, the Road Commander wasn't a bad truck, or the Astro either, it's just when worn, they became the worst truck you ever drove. Most were spring ride, many highways were washboards and it took it's toll. I drove a 4070B Transtar, spring ride, as shook to pieces as that truck was, I actually liked it.

7. Dave1837

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    It took all five. After I get unloaded here I'm gonna check it again. If it needs more I'm gonna run a gallon of Lucas through it. Lots of oil dripping from the blow-by tube

x1Heavy and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I'd freak if mine used that much. Sounds like you're in need of an overhaul soon.

Is the crankcase vent filter plugged up?

9. Dave1837

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    I'm not sure where that would be. This truck has nearly 600k on the original engine. It would be my luck that it goes out. I miss my CAT

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Yes indeed on the worn. If I had to consider worn trucks, the selections would be different than the worst trucks. One tractor Port East had comes to mind. A older early 60's or so offset cab give or take a few years. I forget exactly. Fire her up settle into the seat and find springs jamming through. Add a phone book to the seat and settle in.

Move out towards the container yard. She was so tired. The hulking container destined for york was waiting. Weight? Who cares it's gonna be over the 100K permit anyhow. I had to dig into the clutch that felt like a popcorn foil popper to get under it. The 5th wheel was so tired it barely hooked. The slop was a few inches. It will beat me up all the way to York. slam back and forth all the way. The throttle was the worst. had about a inch travel to the floor. When floored the engine took a while to get to 2400 from idle. And would not really stay there. Not enough fuel pump or not enough hammer I don't know which.

By the time I was thinking very seriously about taking this one to york. Or not at all. But eh... ef it let's go already.

Getting out of Baltimore onto 95 above the toll group for McHenry, good lord she needed all of the low range to get up and onto it. What am I going to have when I get into high range.

She maxed out at 52. In those days speed limit was 55. So. little by little by slamming little I got to york.

Getting back was a new problem. The seat springs ate the phone book. York had a phone booth with a extra. It does not now. That trip took a full day. Paid 40.00. That after taxes was a little less than the gasoline for the old ford in those days. Talk about making no money.

nredfor88, Dave1837 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You might be wanting a new engine. Thats what I am worried about.

Oil is like blood inside of us. No oil no engine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.