The worst truck you have ever driven?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Dave1837, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    US-Well Services T800 8 bag. Rode like a turd. Less than a 100k and there was so much slop in the driveline it wasnt even funny. 18 speed but the aux was f'd from ppl that can't shift plus the 400 isx was constantly in de rate mode pulling 110k in the WV mountains

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Im sorry to hear of this. No wonder those things were more disposible than I thought. Ours of that year was mint virgin new, we broke it's cherry to 210000 and ready for another mint team truck. Its a shame.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  4. Freightliner Classic

Freightliner Classic Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Rome GA
    76 GMC Cracker box ran great man was a horrible ride 8v-71 2 stroke that motor was right

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    My other was an R600 Mack with airsteer.. few will remember the joys of those, with the roof A/C that poured water all over you!
    When you got out, you were soaked.
    300 Macksidine with a straight 5, straight exhaust, camelback suspension, and you had to adjust brakes every 3 days because the slack adjusters were wore out and the brakes backed off, only had to run one stopsign at a T intersection hoping I wouldnt turn over, still dont know how I kept it up, made the left turn at 30, it did raise up, on driverside, but I floored it and somehow steered out, but thats one thing that teaches you to be aware approaching anything, just because you had brakes a minute ago, doesnt mean you have now.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. dirthaller

dirthaller Heavy Load Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Coloratah
    1983 International 2574 Dumptruck L10 Cummins ( no jakes), hendrickson R suspension (rubber ride), 7LL trans. Whoever invented solar heat, drove this truck. In the summer months, instead of packing a sandwich for lunch, I’d set a frozen TV dinner on the floor next to the shifter boot. By noon....it was done!
    It did, however, have power steering to twist the jumbo 425 series steer tires.

Dave1837 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You aint lived until you have been inside a Mack Suicide Cabover. Just a thin little structure just wide enough for your seat.

8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    1968 was the last year for the Crackerbox. Had to be an Astro or Chevy Titan. I thought they were good trucks. I drove a Sterling, that was supposed to be the new "Louisville". It was no Louisville. POS, it was.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    GMC Astro does come to mind. But eh... it had a hell of a turbo. Even for a deaf man like me. Icepick city everytime to shift. Talk about a headache. Whoever dreamed up the Astro at the Design Table must have thought that truckers were very stupid and designed a devil filled shake box for them.

10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I remember some turbos were pretty loud, air compressors too. One KW I drove, the turbo was so loud, you couldn't hear the radio, and when the compressor kicked in, sounded like a machine gun. I think cab insulation helped a lot there. I never drove an Astro, I thought for a cabover, they were pretty nice trucks. They had a nice interior and dash. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2d/fd/b1/2dfdb17df0982e1ddfbef92151d34475.jpg

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Thats one of them. Nice pic. Its a much nicer and organized and more importantly WORKING array. The GM we were issued was beat up, two foot pile of fly infested papers, fast food boxes and rusted tools rotting in the pax side and nothing much was working.

If all the things school tried to impart upon us to have trucks that are in working order and no defects is such a mockery in those days with some of the companies I found myself with. Ive wondered who in the world finds these tractors for me to drive today. What in sam hill are they doing in that little office? I never got around to asking that question. They did not stay in business long enough.

It all came down to dollars. If it took 20 dollars for a water gauge to be replaced, they wouldnt do it. And that was their downfall.

201 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.