Tips for a smaller, older guy, that is a new going into flatbed?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Michael-CO, Jul 11, 2022.

1. Michael-CO

Michael-CO Light Load Member

Jul 7, 2022
    Aurora, CO
    That's correct. I have seen in other posts about people having concern about folks getting cut loose with little to no experience early on, so that's why I included that information on purpose so people that are experienced would see the dilemma and point out the more important things to focus and learn ASAP.

I also understand the dilemma about utilizing youtube videos, and every yahoo and his brother wants to make videos. I have already have come across plenty that some of those folks have no business making videos at all. The best are complete rookies making videos about what to do thinking their enlightenment is suddenly gospel. I think this is where a history of being self-taught, having an education, being older, and using some discernment comes in handy.

I have had to teach myself a lot of skills over the years by utilizing youtube. What I found out is that if you watch as much as you can, then kind of an ebb and flow of what is correct versus not will start to stand out over time, and you can pick off the valuable information if you are semi-intelligent enough or have enough practical experience doing that.

I have already seen videos where folks are fighting over putting a twist in a strap, versus throwing the hook over the load or not, etc... I also utilize the comments a lot by seeing what the arguments are for or against, and then try to make an educated decision about what is correct or not. If I don't know, I will just come to a place like this and post about it and see what type of feedback comes from it. I am also matching up information against what the feds published books like Cargo securement says, as well as watching videos where DOT officers are actually explaining the laws clearly and going through securement stuff, equipment ratings, manufacturer information, etc... I think as time is going on, I can pick out the more important stuff that I need to be aware of and build on that.

I have concerns myself about getting sent out into the wild too soon, not being trained enough as you might see at other professional jobs or carriers, and why I am researching and educating myself as much as possible now so at least I have some general direction, ideas, and see how other folks think before I get out there.

By the same token, the job I was supposed to start tomorrow suddenly got postponed for two weeks with no heads up and I am not sure how reliable it is anymore. I was more going into Flatbed because the job and company seemed like a really good opportunity, but now I am not so sure. I am going to start looking for another job now so I don't possibly run into this problem again in two weeks, and I doubt I will be looking for a flatbed job while searching in general.

I am not sure what to do about the scenario now as I don't feel like I can trust anything. There was this big crazy rush to get all my paperwork done, drug tests, meet people, etc...and spent a lot of my own personal time getting ramped up for what was supposed to be starting today initially, then got pushed till tomorrow, then got pushed out another two weeks.

The only way I found out is because I had not heard from them until 6:30 tonight about what time I was supposed to start tomorrow, so I reached out to them asking what was up, and that's how I found out about another 2 weeks from now when I spent all my time getting ready for tomorrow. Obviously, I am very disappointed and troubled by what went down but didn't let on to that when I spoke with the boss because I was trying to be flexible for them. I am big on communication and transparency and told them that during the interview and think this could have been handled much better.

He did tell me that he doesn't want to lose me and still wants me to work for him, but I honestly don't know what to think about it anymore. So I think it's just best that I start looking for something else just in the event he does something in another 2 weeks to prolong it or change his mind altogether. I have never seen that done before with any other job and I am trying to be flexible about it in my mind, but it was extremely disappointing and I am not sure how to process it all. I think I want the job too much because of certain perks or things that hit my own checklist and maybe not thinking clearly. My experience is anything too good to be true, is always too good to be true. Been trying to remind myself that for the past week waiting to start today in the event something weird did happen.

I also have concerns if he flakes out in another two weeks, I will start to get to rusty coming out of CDL school and not have driven for a few weeks, and then having to wait even longer looking for another new job. This is one of my biggest fears. Things just started to come together for me at the end of CDL school and sitting around and not continuing to build on that experience and skills is concerning to me. I was hoping to be driving again by today or tomorrow, and now we are talking about another few weeks.

The rest of the info you supplied I appreciate. Thanks for taking the time out to write it all down.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Where are you located? If you really want flatbed, this could help to better match companies.

CAXPT and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Steel/composite toe boots are a must. If you've ever had a smashed or broken toe, it's something you don't ever want to go thru again. In fact, when I buy a new pair of boots for work, I retire the old ones for home use. You get use to the weight of them and I don't have issues driving a truck with them.

As far as being an older driver getting into flatbed, welcome to the club. I'm 55 and have done mostly van and reefer with the exception of 3 years hauling glass on various types of open deck trailers...and that got me hooked on flatbed. I start orientation and training on Monday with a flatbed company. And since I have only hauled one type of open deck freight, I need some training and pointers on securement and tarping on general freight, so I am going thru a similar training course you are. When I told the recruiter that I was apprehensive about starting flatbed at my age, he said not to worry, he was just a year or two younger than me and only recently came out of the truck to work in the office, and could go right back into it without a problem. There was a younger female driver on YouTube that did flatbed(dang if I can't remember her name) but she was on the smaller side and did fine for years until she moved to dry van and then got a sponsorship and started some kind of RV-tour the country channel If I had to guess, she was around your size and was able to handle tarping and securement just fine, so you should be o.k.

5. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Get the correct boots
    Get hurt or caught in anything less than required and you and your company may get removed from the property and never invited back

As far as size. You’re fine and if tarping gets to be too much them go to a Conestoga company

This gal and her husband both are on with a Conestoga company, never met her husband other than on the phone but his wife is maybe 4’10. Not sure but small and she will outwork guys 6’4

Here is her pic. Has a custom truck and her husband’s rig is “ The Gambler “ a red 389 if you want to look them up

64B4C789-D2EB-4467-828B-E38AD9DD7C4E.jpeg
    CBF5E430-E45B-443B-8A6D-6FD14850D117.jpeg

6. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @Michael-CO --

Something else to consider/think about....

There are those in the business community that think we are probably at or near the beginning of a recession.

If they are correct--just how well will your prospective employer's freight base hold up?

Also: if you were "goofed" by your prospective new employer like that (VER-RY unprofessional--by any reasonable standard)--and only found out about it by last-minute proactive thinking/action on your part--what could potentially happen later, especially if their business market goes sour? How do you think they will break that news to you?

Suggestion: use that 2 weeks to look for other opportunities--especially those that are more recession-resistant.

Chinatown is a wealth of info here on the Forum, if you are open to options for such.

Another suggestion: use that same time window to start getting those endorsements: tanker, hazmat, and doubles/triples. I didn't see in your earlier posts where you already have those. They are money-makers, and door-openers.

Currently, and for the near-term future at least--it's very much a driver's job market out there (in flatbed--and well beyond).

Don't let it go to waste.

--Lual

7. Michael-CO

Jul 7, 2022
    Aurora, CO
    I can't honestly answer that or speculate. I have a funny feeling the guy does have a pretty good business head, owns or partnered with a few companies out of the same location in different verticles, and I think he can hold his own, although that's purely speculative. His equipment, shop, technology, etc... is all fairly new and doesn't look like he is hurting in the financial arena or backing.

Yup. I do worry about communication now with him. It seemed like from the limited information I had, it was all foreseeable and could of definitely been handled better. Especially waiting till I contacted him so late the night before I was supposed to start. I was waiting all day to hear from him, spent the day getting ready, and even took time off from my own business/job the two days before so I could get ready, study more, etc... which was lost time and income to me. Luckily I am self-employed and can go back to doing what I was doing at any time without a problem and continue making money. But it still didn't sit well with me. Especially for how much we spent in the interview talking about honesty, transparency, reliability, etc... They were extremely grateful for my candid and honest approach about things, so it really surprised me coming out of the gate for this to happen. I am a big stickler about looking at people's actions to know what is true versus what they say. I preach this a lot so I need to adhere to it as well. I am really bumming about it because I really wanted to work with and for them. Still do, but then I would be a hypocrite against my own advice as to looking at people's actions to know what is true. If I had not called him late in the evening, I have no idea when he would have communicated this to me and that's really troubling to me. I also honestly don't know why neither him or the other driver just didn't take me with them on either of their hauls that they are so busy with for the next two weeks, but my guess is to save costs in training time. I am guessing they would rather train me local versus OTR so it keeps costs down. But there is a good chance I would of been flexible on pay and could of worked something out with them to gain the experience and trade off a little pay or something. I don't know for sure but I think I would have.

Or what if I get out on the road and need to count on him in an emergency situation? Will he be reliable, accountable, dependable, and honest about any and all situations? That's even a bigger fear for me now.

Agreed. Although I have a lot of fear around this. I have Complex PTSD and have a lot of concerns about being locked up in a cab in a team situation for training OTR for so many weeks with someone, especially since I can't vet the person's personality, morals, etc... prior to getting into the situation. It's one of the main reason I am going into this field is so I can be alone a lot and eventually get into owner/operator and only work for myself. Most of the jobs that I would have to apply for I have heard a lot of horror stories about trainers with companies like Swift, CR England, Pride, etc... and there are only so many companies that bring on new drivers and they definitely exploit the situation for financial gain. I am also not sure if I can afford to take such a pay cut from my current employment due to the overhead of my current monthly bills. This job I was hoping on it wasn't a factor for what they were willing to start me at, but I have heard of those other companies where people are only bringing home $500-800 a week. I can't survive on that.

I was also hoping maybe I can get hired local for a while first, then move into OTR when I have more experience this way my training time with someone won't be so long and the C-PTSD can handle it more.

I already have Tanker and Triples/Doubles endorsement. I just got approved by TSA for Hazmat endorsement, currently studying for the test, and have an appointment in 2 weeks with DMV to take my test for that.

Also have an appointment to get fingerprinted for a TWIC card. Since I have already been approved by TSA for hazmat then TWIC shouldn't be a problem. Then I can do maritime stuff too.

This way I don't have any restrictions anywhere or with anything since I have a Class A already with no restrictions. I tested in a manual transmission. My hope was to get into owner/operator and not limited myself as to what freight and/or jobs I can get anywhere.

Funny, I have been watching so many videos the past week+ on Flatbed, I think I still want to do it versus dry van. Not exactly sure why, but I think I do since I am getting familiar with it. I initially got my CDL because I thought I would like to do Hotshot. But now that I have been driving the semi's for school and testing, I would rather be in a rig than a pickup. Especially since it has a cab and more flexibility/comfort out on the road. I also think if I do Flatbed now for a while, I can move into any other vertical more easily after having that experience, but that's an assumption.

Thanks for all the advice and input.

8. Michael-CO

Jul 7, 2022
    Aurora, CO
    Extremely valid point and convinced me with it. Thanks. And thanks for the rest of the input. I am glad I posted this thread and gaining some reassurance from it.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  9. Michael-CO

Jul 7, 2022
    Aurora, CO
    OK...ya'll talked me into it.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  10. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @Michael-CO --

Given the above info/feedback you've provided, there's another opportunity out there you might wanna know about.

Since you later aspire to be an owner-operator, but the pending business conditions/climate certainly don't favor such anytime soon, wouldn't it be neat to get training and experience for owner-op--but also with the security and benefits of being a company driver, until things improve back to worthwhile levels?

USA Truck offers a program that lets you pick your own loads from a company load board, and run where and when you want.

To qualify for the program, you need a satisfactory track record with them for at least 12 months:

USA Truck - Introducing USA Truck’s Drive Your Plan Company Self-Dispatch Program: Pick Your Loads, Plan Your Life (driveusatruck.com)

No one else out there is currently offering such a program for company drivers (to the best of my knowledge, anyway; if you do find such, please post).

Note also that most of their action is east of Colorado. I did see a job posting with them for a Colorado job, so not all of their business is back east. THEY ALSO DO FLATBED.

But don't rule out doing dry van, either. It's a great way for a rookie to get into the business.

That's how I got started; now, I do hazmat tanker duty.

Consider this: by doing dry van duty--you spend more time learning how to drive--vs strapping, tarping, chaining, etc. Also: since you aren't strapping, tarping, etc....you aren't out in the weather near as much.

Face it--flatbed is actually tough duty--unless the weather is nice.

There's no law that sez you can't start out in dry van--and later go to flatbed, if you're still interested.

Just my two cents, anyway.

USA Truck is also large enough that they would probably have enough freight to keep you busy during a recession.

Safe travels, Driver.

--Lual

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.