Tips for a smaller, older guy, that is a new going into flatbed?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Michael-CO, Jul 11, 2022.

1. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    It helps to have a seriously questionable state of mental health to be a flat/open deck operator.

Elroythekid, truckdad, Kyle G. and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Michael-CO

Michael-CO Light Load Member

Jul 7, 2022
    Aurora, CO
    Flatbed trucking =
    cuckoos nest.jpg

4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Any seat warming grinning orangatan can slam doors on a box trailer. (Says they guy with the chimp avatar who is a door slammer for 3 more days)...open deck is the way to go

images.jpeg-15.jpg

Kyle G., beastr123, CAXPT and 4 others Thank this.
  5. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Rule one. NEVER jump off the trailer.

cke, Kyle G., CAXPT and 4 others Thank this.
  6. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Big disagreement here.
    Rule No. 1 Don’t fall off load/trailer.

cke, Kyle G., CAXPT and 4 others Thank this.
  7. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Ok, good point.

cke, Kyle G., CAXPT and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I did both at the same time. I loaded aluminum coilswhich meant I had to pull the bow so the coils could fit. Turned out to be 3 coils instead of 2, so I put the bows back. I didn't put it in right, so that when I slipped around the coil to finish securing it, I started to fall. I grabbed the bow which came out of the socket and then I knew I was going over the side. I figured the best way to land on my feet was to jump. I landed on my feet, but was sore for 2 days!

cke, jamespmack, Kyle G. and 3 others Thank this.
  9. Cdemars316

Cdemars316 Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2018
    I have had keen composite toe work boots for about 3 years now and they are comfortable as all get out, I actually am wearing them right now cause I just came in from the garage but I messed up my foot dropping a binder on them and thought I broke something, it took about a month of me limping around before it felt alright again, if I wasn't wearing the keens and was in my tennis shoes I might have had to go into the doc for a cast. I am shopping for another pair now that has a little more protection for the whole foot. I would also suggest looking into c climbing helmet, rock climbers use them and they make a hard hat look like a toy, plus they are ventilated and strap to your head. After taking a fall in my garage and smashing my head into the concrete and spending 9 months last year out of work I am kinda paranoid about hitting my head again, it might not end well for me so I am the doofus that always wears one

CAXPT, Michael-CO and Kyle G. Thank this.
  10. Michael-CO

Michael-CO Light Load Member

Jul 7, 2022
    Aurora, CO
    I am a BIG fan of Keen shoes. In fact, that's all I own. I have like 5 pairs now between high top, snow boots, tennis sneakers, to ankle cut, and now I just bought KEEN Utility Men's Portland 6" Kbf Composite Toe Waterproof Work Boots

I went with composite toe instead of steel toe because my feet run really cold in the winter and I heard Steel Toe makes it worse. I also spent two different sessions at my local Army/Navy store trying on all the different Keen boots they have, and oddly, found many of them to not be very comfortable when that is the total opposite of all my shoe experience with Keen. Many of them were ankle biters or just too heavy for my wishes, but these seem to hit multiple check marks for me on my list.

The other nice thing about Keen shoes and one reason why I keep buying them is they are wider in the toe box than most shoes. The souls are always the best for me as I have had multiple surgeries on one foot for nerve problems and Keen shoes are literally the only shoes I never have pain or discomfort in. I have been wearing them for about 7 years now and I won't buy anything else anymore. However, you can also get "wide" in their shoes too. So I bought these Portland boots as "wide" since it will give me a little extra room as composite (or steel toe) is a bit stiffer anyway, plus I can layer up with socks comfortable in the winter with it if need be. I like thick heavy socks for the wintertime.

The other thing about the Portland boots is there is a rubber break on top of the boot, right behind the toe box, for extra flexibility and so they don't break down in that spot like most steel toe or composite boots do in time in that region. I bought them because it has the extra flexibility there to naturally bend and I think that might work out well for getting on the gas and break peddle more naturally without it having that stiff steel toe feel in the boot. This is an assumption as I haven't tried them out yet, but definitely seems like a plus.

I am actually thinking about this now that you have mentioned it. I have had a few concussions in my life, don't need anymore, and not a bad idea. Maybe I will be a fellow doofus with you...need to think about this more. Thanks for the idea and feedback.

11. truckdad

truckdad Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Penn Valley, CA
    I guess I’m just an old coot, but if you need to ask what kind of shoes to wear, maybe open deck is not where you should be going?

Oxbow, stwik, Ruthless and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.