To all my mathematical truckers....Certificate of Deposit talk.

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by nikmirbre, Dec 18, 2021.

1. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Just my opinion, don't leave large sums in a CD or a savings account.

I think you can see the same returns, maybe better just leaving your cash in a money market where it's liquid.

I also like and use Charles Schwab.

You will get better bang for your buck elsewhere.

If you are not very risk tolerant you can still do much better investing in utilities.

American Water Works
    Public Enterprise Group
    Waste Management
    There are many others...

Your money will stay more liquid and not locked into a CD where you can't touch it without penalties.

Inflation is going to eat away at your money seeing such small returns.

During the Great Depression the stock market crashed, but made a full recovery within a few years.

I think a lot of people don't get the returns they could be getting easily. Some folks have a hard time sleeping at night. Other folks get greedy and buy on margins, or they get carried away with daily movements and buy/sell too much. It was never a problem for me.

Anything can happen. Your money ain't 100% safe anywhere. You may as well grab better returns. If something happens and the whole system just implodes we're all screwed anyway.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada
    OP in 3 months you'll make about $25.

Do you have GICs there? A GIC is a Guaranteed Investment Certificate. I currently have $800,000 in one, because I need to spend it soon.
    While it doesn't make much interest, at least its making 0.8%

Attached Files:

nikmirbre and BennysPennys Thank this.
  4. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Controlling loss is as important as controlling profit.

5. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    That is not a valid assumption.

gentleroger and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  6. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Back in the 90's CD's were paying the better part of 6%. It made sense to invest in them and I did. Back in those days I was a construction worker and I would get a $4k vacation check every February. I put it into a 1 year CD and the next year when it matured I would add the next $4k to it and roll it into another 1 year CD again. I did this over several years til it added up to nearly $50k.

Times have changed and CD's are no longer good investment vehicles. You're almost better off sinking the $10k into Ethereum right now. Savings bonds and treasuries are good if you don't need your money for 5- 7- 10 years, you can often double your investment over that time. Or you can put it into IRA's (Roth or Traditional) or even purchase an annuity. Or open up an online discount brokerage like Charles Schwab or Ameritrade or Etrade and invest it in money market accounts or ETF's. There are just so many other better places to put your money right now than a CD.

7. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    Back in 2008 the American banking system was just one small bank failure away from the system collapsing. Banking rules used to say the bank had to keep 10% of deposits on hand, now it is 0. We had a too much debt crisis and they solved it by creating more debt.
    The American dollar will remain thr world's reserve currency as long as the world has confidence in it.
    In my opinion what you purchase today does not cost more, the dollar you use buys less. This is how the government taxes you to pay for all their programs.
    If you go by the 1975 metrics inflation is running around 15%. So in order to stop it the Federal Reserve will have to raise interest rates to about 15%.
    Sounds great for your CD.
    The only problem is the government has 30 trillion in debt, not to mention all the companies that can baily make their debt payments now.
    The Federal Reserve has run out of bullets.
    So when does it all come tumbling down .
    It is anyone's guess.

8. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Correct, I understand that. Again, I'm no expert but the OP asked about APY which in my understanding is Annual Percentage Yield. The rate of return is based on an annual earning. The rate of return is based on $100 per year.
    $100 divided by 12 months = $8.33. Multiplied by the validity of the 3 months CD = $25 per 3 months.

And for what its worth, I'm just using basic math to get my figures. I didn't use a special interest calculator or anything for specific, exact numbers.

Bean Jr., Pamela1990 and nikmirbre Thank this.
  9. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Almost better? Ethereum was under 1k in January. I own a few of those.

Its at 4k right now, or just under. Whats that, like 300-400% gain? Lol

10. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    0.01% is $1.00 for an entire year!

Grumppy and BennysPennys Thank this.
  11. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    You are correct. I used a CD calculator from Biz Rate & set it for the calculated amounts in the OP.
    $10,000 at .01% for 3 months = $0.25.

Pamela1990 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.