Tolls and other bs!

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by Notsoangrytrucker, Mar 30, 2024.

1. Notsoangrytrucker

Notsoangrytrucker Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2024
    Greetings,

This thought just hit me couple of days ago: so any interstate highway is a government highway, wich means it is a highway that was built on a tax payers money... so how dafak come in some States, like NJ, OH, PA etc i am being charged money ( paying tolls)... if its built on a tax payers money???...
    Bridges and Tunnels are also falling under same question...

Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Cause, sometimes that's what the people in that district vote & give the governing district the option to do. Here in Louisiana, which currently has no toll roads, just voted last year to allow the state to build roads by certain means, whether with taxes, selling bonds or borrowing the money, to build toll roads.
    We, the voters, tell the governor to borrow money (etc) & we'll pay it back through tolls... oh & you too who didn't vote on it but use those roads.

Oh, and sometimes Roads aren't built by the government. Initially, investors built private roads & charge a toll for us to use them. Its 100% a privately owned road.

Here's a read for you......
    Texas State Highway Beltway 8 - Wikipedia

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
    Notsoangrytrucker Thanks this.
  4. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Short answer, lifes not fair, and its at the least technically legal, if a bit murky on the front of doubly taxing people.

Longer answer. Maintenance takes money, roads BUILT with federal dollars attached arent neccessarily allocated the correct amount to keep them maintained, and frequently the federal funding for building wipes out a chance of using federal funds to maintain them. In some ways a toll makes sense, as it ostensibly provides a use tax, use the road, you pay for it, dont use it, you dont pay for it.

Other realistic longer answer, places like pa mismanage things so horribly that not only are their tolls the highest per mile that exist, but theyre also poorly thought out and dont neccessarily provide any benefit to the user, despite being faster and less miles, it is in almost every case a better choice to use alternate worse maintained and harder to get through routes.
    Whereas some places are far better maintained while still even being relatively cheap to traverse (ohio) despite having pretty easy bypasses or alternate routes that dont actually suck more miles or time.
    And life still aint fair

5. Notsoangrytrucker

Mar 30, 2024
    Well...
    Government did not ask me on that question. Also if you know someone who asked Governor to borrow money from government (wich are also peoples money) let me know please.
    Tbh i am pretty sure no one asks anyone, they are just doing what they want and no one cares.

Anyway, Thanks for the answer

6. Grumppy

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Wait..... what????

7. Notsoangrytrucker

Mar 30, 2024
    We should send more money overseas...

8. Notsoangrytrucker

Mar 30, 2024
    Short version is i think its wrong...

9. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    That is a textbook definition of a non-sequitor if Ive ever seen one.

Shoo young (or old) gadfly, your name is obviously an inaccurate description.

gentleroger and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  10. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    :biggrin_2556::biggrin_2554: WTF…..

skallagrime Thanks this.
  11. Grumppy

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Troll..... Stop feeding the trolls..

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.