Trailer Not Inspected?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by diamondd817, May 17, 2022.

1. teams567

teams567 Medium Load Member

Jan 3, 2022
    Correct. If the officer is in a bad mood or doesn't like you, you will be OOS.

Out of service complete with offloading etc..

Another Canadian driver and CAXPT Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Oos is a guarantee.

If they want, they can let a mechanic come out and do the avi.

If they want to they can force the carrier to off load the trailer before the avi can be done.

4. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Why not just a temp tag to move it, no inspection necessary. At least not here in TX.

5. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I don't know about TX intrastate, but interstate needs an avi under fmcsa 396.3

6. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    I thanked this one, but I disagree with you about forgetting. The problem is, what we do, is actually boring as hell. Which is why we are supposed to develop routines that we follow to avoid 'forgetting'. I do these religiously. It's a PITA, but every time they changed my trailer or truck, it went through the full work up and I would not roll until I was satisfied, and that included permit book, Tractor and trailer inspections and repairs. If it wasn't in order, it was in order before I drive. Then I'd take the vehicle, get full tanks of fuel, with all securement gear on board, and pay myself, to scale both the tractor bobtailed and with trailer, so I'd know my axle weights and what I could legally carry at max fuel weight. After that, I only needed to scale with the trailer, since the tractor is already known, unless that changed too. It's a PITA, but it's necessary if I want to be able to make proper judgements about my equipment and load. I do this EVERYTIME, buddyd157. I'm the wrong candidate to be used for a "we all forget" analogy...sorry. :) I've mutually left a place, because they didn't like having to repair their equipment I'd inspected, and I didn't like having to sit around waiting for them to repair the equipment. You have to set the standard, live up to it, and stand by it. I do and try to help others to. On this issue, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  7. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    "complacent" i think can also be used, with, or instead of forgetful..."we get complacent in the everyday rigermoral".

8. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    I put the wrong paperwork in my truck binder and didn’t have the sticker or the inspection and all the officer did was make sure it’s in there and gave me a normal citation.

9. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    Agreed. Which is why a routine is more useful..one will feel guilty for not following a routine that keeps them out of trouble when the first time they forget to do it, it ends up costing them. :)

10. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    The officer must have been in a 'good' mood then. :)

11. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i used to get (can't use the word here due to the filters), for taking too much time pre-tripping/post tripping...

it was "my routine" i had to do. it followed me from my days working as a mechanic and looking over a vehicle for problems, then to hopefully sell the customer service work.

but many times too, for whatever reason, forgetting something just happens. it only takes a split second to be distracted by anything, and you just go onto the next step.

but in the end, we really cannot admonish a newbie/rookie, for not knowing all there is to know about the CSA points, fines, etc.

there is just too much one should know, needs to know, that it takes some people more time, than others to absorb all that.

this is why i.......... and this can be unbelievable for me, ..........to cut the newbie some slack.

should he/she have gotten an OOS, or a fine, or whatever, it would have "woken up" that person to get into the books to do more reading up on things. also too, the company many times knows a trailer or tractor is due, or past due for inspections, PM's, etc......they could have easily contacted a vendor to get there and do the job, even if "half arsed", and a sticker was put on it, that it passed, which i would not appreciate either, but at that point and time, it's known to be "road worthy".

and we all know, that anything, at anytime, can stop working, or a light can burn out.....there are no guarantees' that a vehicle that passed any inspection will stay 100% perfect.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.