Trailer Not Inspected?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by diamondd817, May 17, 2022.

1. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    I had an expired inspection sticker on my truck once. Penske equipment. Kept writing it up.

My boss a year ago told me to stop writing it up, made him look bad to the higher ups I guess. He then said all the police know Penske inspects this equipment every time it comes in, and they know Penske keeps them 100% perfect. And that the police ignore the inspection sticker, because of that. So that inspection sticker didn't matter.

Had a hard time containing my laughter......

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    must be the same kinda guy that always knows his fly isn't open too.

4. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Can anyone show me where an expired or missing annual inspection is an OOS violation? I didn’t see anything in the out of service criteria I looked through, maybe I just missed it.

5. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    The lack of a proper annual inspection sticker, allows an officer to inspect and determine if the vehicle is unsafe, and if so, declare it OOS until repaired and brought up to speed. If they determine it is unsafe to drive, it stays until repaired or towed. The rest is in the sections that follow..but most of all, this the driver's responsibility, as an agent of a motor carrier to inspect and report that the vehicle does not have an annual and should not be driven on the road until then, and likewise, an MC can not order a driver to drive a vehicle that is not up to snuff, including the annual inspection, except to maybe take it to facility that can do that annual inspection if the MC is not setup to do it properly.
    Federal Register :: Request Access
    And the penalty section:
    Federal Register :: Request Access

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  6. kylefitzy

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
  7. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    The second link is the penalty provisions for violating the requirements for annual inspections in the first link. They are required, and if not available, the DOT officer can declare it OOS.

8. kylefitzy

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    According to jjkeller, in 2021, 166,281 violations were issued under 396.17(c) “operating a Cmv without an inspection”. Approximately ZERO percent of the trucks were placed out of service. That’s a whole lot of officers letting one slide. 510C62E1-0205-487D-9117-248996F97312.jpeg

9. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    And illegal immigration is illegal, but depending on the party in power, it can slide...that doesn't make it any less enforceable if so desired. Next question.
    In addition, those citations are piling up and adding to the possible shutting down or a more vigorous MC inspection at a later date to possibly shutdown the MC in addition to making the score such that more of the vehicles will get pulled in to be inspected more often leading to the same issues.

10. kylefitzy

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Expired trailer inspections and Illegal immigrants have one thing in common. Neither meet the OOS criteria set forth by the CVSA. A violation sure, but not an OOS violation.

11. teams567

teams567 Medium Load Member

Jan 3, 2022
    And you know why? It's a supply chain issue. Officers know that.

Look people have to eat...What's the point of doing OOS when people don't have basic necessities?

It's a crisis now.

Another Canadian driver and CAXPT Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.