Trailers with plates welded onto the floor

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Yoster, Jan 30, 2024.

1. Yoster

Yoster Light Load Member

May 16, 2011
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    I've seen some used reefers going for dirt cheap, but they have the metal plates welded onto the floor in a few spots, assuming to patch damage and holes. My question is, would some shippers turn you down over that?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Should turn down buying on of them

cuzzin it Thanks this.
  4. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    I never was with my old trailer, I would never buy one with plates already on the floor though, one thing doing it myself and moving it back to a spare trailer, but the life is already out of it,

5. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Having welded plates on the floor is just a cheap way to fix a floor that should’ve had that damaged section replaced.

I never heard of a shipper refusing to load one with plates on there, but me personally I wouldn’t buy a reefer with floors like that.

6. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    no reason to do a section repair on a ~10+ year old trailer, plate will buy you about another year while you wait for a new one to come in, or make a decent spare trailer in case something happens or you need it, but it’s at the end of its life,

Im actually amazed at the fuel difference between my 10 utility and my new to me 16 GD, should of thrown that trailer out a few years ago just in fuel alone

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.