Training

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Clyde07, Jun 1, 2014.

1. BigBluePeter

BigBluePeter Heavy Load Member

Aug 8, 2009
    In all honesty, If you haven't been a trainer yourself then you have no business judging people that are. We put our lives in the hands of rookies every day in order to give them the opportunity to develop the skills that will lead them to a good career. My first priority is safety, If it takes the entire training period to get a driver to drive safely and he misses out on some other less important areas then that is on him to learn. We aren't always dealing with people that have it all together, and many times aren't even sane. If my students arent wrecking it Ive done my job. learning to axle out their load is helpful but nothing a couple overweight tickets wont teach them in a hurry and also something that is covered in detail in their manuals if they ever have the motivation to actually read something.

gpsman and Aminal Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Aminal

Aminal Heavy Load Member

I think you also make an excellent point in that most "Train the Trainer" classes the megas give aren't really about how to teach. They are a set of standards and how to do trainer paperwork (including E-Paperwork). Rules and cautions. Not; "How To Teach". You're right, they have to figure that out as they go - IF they are motivated to do so and aren't in it just for the extra bucks as others have (unfortunately, accurately) pointed out.

I don't know Man. Trainers go through crazies, lazzies, thick as bricks, all manner in between and then get the one with the "Lights On" and they have someone they can work with and build skill sets.

Students go through crazies, lazzies, thick as bricks, all manner in between and then get the one with the "Lights On" and they have someone they can work with and build skill sets.

It's a real problem in the industry that is rarely ever addressed by the upper ups in the industry or Rule Making and Enforcement. I like the idea of starting by re-tooling the whole OTJ training program and starting with being more selective about trainers and then actually training them how to teach effectively. When CDL's got mandated most "schools" were CDL "buy your license" mills. Now we got some really good schools out there. It took time and people who cared. Why can't WE, as the people IN the industry, make the same kind of changes from within. They'll say it can never be done and list a laundry list of very valid "why nots". But I'm a terminal optimist and for every "why, not"; I'll give you a "why, can" right back.

Of course, I'll be the one saying; "What a nice pretty room and all the flowers. Oh, and what a nice fire they are making for me. I'm sure it will keep me nice and warm. It's so cold. How thoughtful of everyone" - when I'm dead. LOL.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I think in many threads folks have noted that the issue of training is key to our industry. If we had standards for trainers, then it would follow that there would be standards for new drivers.

The most important goal for any trainer is to make sure their trainee is safe on the road. If that goal absorbs all their time, then they aren't able to impart additional knowledge for how to be a successful driver, etc.

The important thing for trainers is to be able to react to the needs and mental status of their trainee. If you have the flexibility in "how you train" you can make the most of the trainee's time on your truck.

Attributes of a good trainer (IMHO): patience, clear set of goals for teaching, cleanliness, organized, and calm.

In my time with trainers and with team driving situations it is clear that in order to have a good environment for teaching in a small living space you need to have a clean and organized space. You need to have a clear set of goals. You need to have a calm and supportive demeanor.

Aminal and Clyde07 Thank this.
  5. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    :mmad:

its all about the money..........

Clyde07 Thanks this.
  6. bergy

bergy Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2013
    First, thanks for being a trainer. I'd rather have my skin removed with a wire brush than be cooped up with another person - especially a stranger who knows nothing - AND their mistakes could cost you your life at any time. Not to mention, bad hygene, messy people, smokers (if you aren't), or just plain horrible personalities.

That said, and this would be from a student's perspective,

I would expect that training is only over once I know the basics of my job. In my mind, scaling a load is a part of the job that I would expect to be told, or at least shown once. Now, if I don't have the comprehension to learn what my trainer is teaching me, that's another story, and I'd expect to wash out.

Clyde07 Thanks this.
  7. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    As far as scaling the load, I'd think this would be one of the priorities of any trainer. With mega carriers the routine for doing drop and hooks and scaling loads would be high on my list of things that a student MUST know like the back of their hand before they are ready to be a successful truck driver. There really isn't any excuse for not teaching these crucial skill sets before setting a trainee free to go solo.

My own trainer seemed to have a "rush and hurry up" attitude when it came to doing drop and hooks. Almost ended in disaster one time when he failed to do a tug test. Doing a drop and hook is a good time to SLOW DOWN and make sure each part of the equation is done successfully.

Clyde07 and Aminal Thank this.
  8. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    This is why I believe that Truck Driving Schools should expand their programs. Part of the written exams on every CDL test has to do with weight. The phrase "move the tandems toward the problem" takes only a second to speak.

I never went out with a trainer. I never had to scale for the first 4 years as a driver. So you can't blame a trainer who may never have had to scale a load when they had a student.

We learn by experience. If the problem doesn't come up, we can teach it. You did right by teaching the newcomer how to scale. The lesson you also taught the new guy was never be afraid to ask for help.

Aminal Thanks this.
  9. Aminal

Aminal Heavy Load Member

I think you will be a very good trainer.

Lepton1 and bergy Thank this.
  10. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    He didn't give up, he parked in a paking spot and sought help to resolve the issue, as he should.

Aminal and Lepton1 Thank this.
  11. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    That's my impression as well. No matter what job you are in you will always come to a spot where you don't know how to proceed. The correct choice is to ask for help.

I think we've all been in a position of needing help. I think we've all been in the position of watching a new driver struggle with backing or getting a weight right or what have you. The point is we should always be ready to either ask for or give help.

I pulled over a new driver a few months ago on the freeway. It was night and sparks were flying out from under his tandems. I could see that he was dragging his lines. I tried to raise him on the CB, but he didn't have one. I pulled up beside him and hand signaled for him to pull over, then pulled over with him. I walked him back to show him his dragging lines and how it was chewing through his air lines. I'd brought one of those mini carabiners with me and showed him how to thread it into the spring and clip it up, nice and safe.

Look out for each other. Maybe the whole "it takes a village" thing works for trucking as well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.