Transition Out of Trucking...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by RubberDuckie, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2015
    I don't know how you've done it for 37 years. I dream of a career lasting that long. Most length of time I've ever worked is two years.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Well I do what I love. I own my truck and trailer, but I've also driven for companies. You'll have to makeup your mind that no matter what happens you aren't going to let someone else determine the kind of day you're going to have. When I started driving the men didn't like women being out here and if the truth is told there are some that still don't. They weren't as vulgar verbally back then as they are now but the message was clear. I decided that I wanted more for myself than a minimum wage job was going to allow me to have. I don't allow anyone to tell me what to do or to be disrespectful. I enjoy my self no matter who tries to ruin my day. I say a prayer for me and them both. You are the ONLY person that controls what happens on your job every day. It can be good or bad but YOU are the one that makes it which ever way it turns out.

4. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Chasing that money and the niche that keeps you from going completely bozo is the name of the game these days. One could only adapt to sudden changes so often before they begin to go rabid and end up getting tossed, or dragged out of the compound.
    As stated by some earlier, keep your expenses down and under control. You never know when those $1200/week paydays will come grinding to a screeching halt and you'll have to play Russian Roulette with bills again.

5. free spirited1

free spirited1 Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    USA
    On another token, who's enjoying the snow, hot chocolate, a movie or book today, had a few drivers wanting to flirt...lol...

6. bentstrider83

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Without the "lingering thoughts" in the back of the head? Probably not that many.

free spirited1 Thanks this.
  7. free spirited1

free spirited1 Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    USA
    hee hee ..lol

8. bentstrider83

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Not what I was getting at, but can't stop the peanut gallery.

free spirited1 Thanks this.
  9. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    when your 65 and older, who gives a rats arse, time to retire and sit at home, and get paid. with both our retirements, investments, dividends, Social Securities, pensions. almost $96,000 a year. im going to freakin Disney land.

NightWind Thanks this.
  10. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    +1000. I

11. bentstrider83

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Trying to keep an upbeat tick on this thread, I thought this story was quite interesting.
    Trucker to spaceman
    Of course this particular degree path and some others in the STEM fields could easily be undertaken in a part-time format as well. Things within the allied health fields are a tad more difficult to pull off without some sort of grant, scholarship, loan, or money saved up due to all the unpaid, clinical's that are required.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.