Truck driver salaries have fallen by as much as 50% since the 1970s

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by rickybobby, Jan 19, 2019.

1. TankerP

TankerP Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Holding the steering wheel
    SteerTire Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TankerP

Oct 1, 2010
    I take it back. That’s not Notre Dame. It looked like the front but it’s not.

4. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    I spent hours photographing Chinese tourist with selfie sticks. I’m looking to make them all internet famous lol

We stayed in hotel across from here ;)

3FD090D1-8C09-4BDB-8B20-B30039674FFB.jpeg

TankerP Thanks this.
  5. TankerP

Oct 1, 2010
    Right behind you.

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Depends on what region of the country you live in.

You all on the east have cheaper living and make more then us on the west.

At one point my son was wanting to move to missouri. He can make the same wage but a new house is only $150G. Compared to at least $300G.

The easterners are making $.50 at least per mile. On the west. It's around $.40.

$3,000 a month is very doable. If you live in the right part of the country.

My breakdown is this.
    Roof $1200
    Taxes payroll $1500
    Medical $500
    Cell & Utilities $300
    Car & bike insurance $120
    Total so far $3,620
    Pretty much all necessary expense. The only thing to cut back would be tv. Food and other items aren't on the list.
    As you can see. Uncle Trump is my biggest expense.

7. Eldiablo

Eldiablo Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2016
    House payment is only @$500 a month. Payroll taxes only about 600-700 a month. The rest are more or less. I’d hate to have to move but I wouldn’t keep working to just pay bills and at a dead end job. I’d move first.
    Oh and before anything is said yes I can go today and get a new house in a good area for about the same or maybe a little more a month. I don’t walk into a subdivision and just pick out a cookie cutter and then pay whatever they say. Look for a small piece of land and then find all the different tradesmen you need to build a small house and sub it out myself. And I will be ugly now and say most “contractors” are using “foreigners”now anyway why not get them yourself and save that money. It’s not that hard. You see people have been brainwashed into not thinking for themselves anymore. And yes that is my opinion just like everyone else has one too.

8. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018

Your uncle trump taxes are no different than anyone else.

9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Apparently the guy above only pays half.

Regardless. It's a chunk of change,.

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I agree with you, but we have to fix all of it and what I say is just observing the applicants I get, some of them can't even figure out how to check the oil, this has nothing to do with deregulation, but the CDL process.

Look Big, I am all for improving things, hell I want to see this industry turned on its pathetic head for the driver by forcing a change with how drivers are all categorized, from general labor to skilled trades. That one change can really improve the entire industry for the driver but that also means a lot of drivers are going to be gone because they won't qualify to be drivers and that's something that can hurt a lot. The CDL process is one step towards that goal and it should be a goal for all who want to see improvements for all the drivers.

Slowmover1 and BigDog Trucker Thank this.
  11. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    I dont think its a coincidence that since the megas formed up, the quality of driver has gone down. The negative impact on wages has also created drivers that arent personally invested in their job, IMO. The corporate culture of modern America has also helped created that too, IMO, since they dont care about the drivers. To them, a driver is just another piece of equipment.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.