Truck Load Rates Halt 8 Week Slide 2.0

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Scooter Jones, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    What I am thinking right now is that I still have not fully recovered from paying down the last almost-20k on my truck loan, I have DPF filter service needing to be done, I have a spot of abnormal wear on one of my steers that will mean I need a new set of steers next home time. I need to have my tires rotated as well, and a B-service is coming up.

All that needs to happen in about three weeks when I go on hometime again. I have a new shop that is not a dealer who I will have doing that work, so it won't be as expensive as dealer work, but it still won't be cheap.

When my taxes finally get sent in and I get money back from fed and state, I might jump to Schneider or Landstar.

To clarify, my concern is this. I have the funds to pay for some major repairs, but I don't have enough funds to feel comfortable about a significant income loss during transition from Crete to anywhere else, which will almost certainly happen. If I have a weak month, and a major repair right now, it could be very painful.

There is an old phrase which sums up where I am standing right now.

A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

PPDCT, dwells40, TallJoe and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    That’s cool. I respect that opinion.

I am proud of the home time aspect being home every weekend and in brand new stuff but I agree for some health insurance and 401k is key. I also take pride in our 3 weeks paid vaca plus holidays in the first year. Most of my guys either have it through their wife or are veterans. Maybe one day I can take that next leap as a company owner. In fact maybe instead of raising pay yet again, I can look into benefits.

PPDCT, Ruthless, Brettj3876 and 7 others Thank this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I'm breaking records every week. Last week was the most I've ever made, and this week is going to top it. Right now I'm sitting on 3 pallets of frozen food (3,400 pounds) for Starbucks that's paying $6.74 per mile on 1,012 miles. My back haul is paying even more. I'm going to ride the wave a little while longer, then try to get rid of my equipment while things are still scarce, and then hang it up. I'm sitting here at a Love's watching drivers get out of their trucks and hobble into the store all hunched over, and realizing that I look just like them. I want to retire and drop some weight and get healthier. This life is a killer.

PPDCT, Ruthless, dwells40 and 7 others Thank this.
  5. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Only if you do it too much. I've been running about 3 days a week for $4-5k and very happy. In the midst of a 5 day weekend. Trucking will go on and the rates will drop so you can look back at it as 'when I made all that money' or 'when I made what I always do but had a ton of days off'.

Ruthless, SteveScott, dwells40 and 3 others Thank this.
  6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Yes, if you push it too hard, you lose the enjoyment despite the high revenue. I turned down a few juicy loads over this weekend. The prospect of yet another night at some Love's listening to someone's reefer or APU did not appeal to me. I think we've made more than enough for too long. Although, we all know that the enough is never true.
    I was more in the mood of going to Lowes and buying myself a smoker...feed it with some apple wood and then smoke something on it. Not quite sure what yet...BUT I do like that smoky smell of whaterthehell you can smoke on it.

I am taking it easy next week. Two loads, the full loop (IL-WI-PA-MI-IL) of 1780 miles for $4825...about $3500 after fuel and tolls; leaving Tuesday coming back Saturday morning.

PPDCT, Farmerbob1, clausland and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Haha all the places no one else likes going too. Pretty sure yesterday was my 1st time outta the 150mi since the new rule change. Got held up by these guys earlier in the week

[​IMG]

PPDCT, Farmerbob1, SteveScott and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    No thanks! LOL

PPDCT, Farmerbob1 and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  9. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I was just awarded a supplemental load $1955 on 379 miles...water. I could not resist. I'll buy a smoker next time.

Hey you guys....When I was growing up, in the old country, it was unthinkable to BUY water of any kind...we did not know about bottled water up until late 80s, except for carbonated mineral water in glass bottles (like Topo-Chico) but it had a lot of gas.

Since when was the water business so good here? Were the grocery stores selling plain bottled water 30-40 years ago? LOL

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  10. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    We didn't have bottled water here either until the 80's or maybe even the 90's. If we wanted portable water, we filled up a container and took it with us. I think it became a world wide phenom at the same time. Now 30 or so years later, the planet is polluted with all of those empty bottles.

11. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I was trying to think back and around here I’d say around 2000 is when it actually took off more. Prior you either had a water jug or maybe bought a Gatorade. Bottled water was available but not prominent. If you bought water it was probably a gallon jug.

PPDCT, Farmerbob1 and TallJoe Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.