Truck Loses Load on Parkway West Inbound @ Fort Pitt Tunnel

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Buc, May 18, 2019.

1. Buc

Buc Medium Load Member

Nov 17, 2012
    This was sent to me yesterday--link from KDKA local news.

Truck Loses Load On Inbound Parkway West, Road Cleared After Hours Long Cleanup

If you recognize the words "Parkway West", you already know. For those not in the know, that's the local colloquialism for (what's now) I-376 inbound. Having lived in Pittsburgh for seven years, inbound traffic is already jacked up no matter what time of day it is--I can only imagine how tore up it was during that mess, and it occurred at 7:30 a.m.

That inbound descent is already steep enough as it is...I got $ on a hard brake from going down too fast. With how jacked up that Banksville exit is (it's the second-to-last one before the Tunnel), ain't no telling what else may have happened.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Having worked with new RR ties in my past. Them are HEAVY!

Bud A. Thanks this.
  4. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    Definitely looks like a hard brake situation. And I hate to say it, but inadequate securement for forward movement, since those ties are spilling off the front of the deck. It's supposed to be 80% of the weight, just for those hard brake situations. Have I pulled loads where I had inadequate securement for forward movement? Most likely, so I say, no harm, no foul, driver. Some inconvenience, sure, but no one got hurt.

tnpete, JonJon78 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. double_r

double_r Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh,PA
    If he was able to go faster then 15mph down Green Tree Hill at 730am on a weekday, I would be shocked, lol.

JoeyJunk and Bud A. Thank this.
  6. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    I was just in that area the day before doing Walmart dedicated runs out of Wintersville,OH! I’m glad I missed that mess!

Bud A. Thanks this.
  7. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    My girlfriend works at Children’s in Lawrenceville. She gets off at Greentree and saves some of the headache. I couldn’t make that drive everyday.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.