Trucker plows through 2 highway patrol cruisers, going to fast for conditions

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by H3R3T1C, Jan 21, 2019.

1. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    i didnt say it was an excuse, i said thats the way people are driving, not making an excuse for him just pointing out how drivers are running around like idiots

Bud A. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. againstthewind

Oct 26, 2012
    its not a "fact" that if you rear end a car in a truck you are always at fault.

4. againstthewind

Oct 26, 2012
    hes not "exactly right" that if you rear end someone the trucker is always at fault. why do drivers keep saying this when i know for a fact its not true,rare yes but not always.

5. againstthewind

Oct 26, 2012
    if you reversed the situation, truck spins out and cop runs into him would you still call the truck a moron? they are all morons in my opinion, but the truck didnt spin out,the cop did and was sitting in the middle of the road which makes him a bigger moron to me. i wouldnt be in that situation because i know how people drive like idiots, including the cops in this situation, to say the trucker is 100 percent at fault when the cop is spun out in the middle of the road is absurd, is it avoidable, yes take all these idiots out of the scenerio and its avoidable.

sealevel, Rubber duck kw and bigguns Thank this.
  6. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    What circumstance would it not be any driver fault for rear ending someone. Please explain becuase I’m curious.

Doesn’t matter if you were following someone who came to sudden stop. You are required in any vehicle to maintain proper distance for any situation which no one does. So I’m just curious as to which circumstance you have come across where someone that rear ends someone would not be “at fault”

Bud A. and bigguns Thank this.
  7. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    899A6887-961C-431A-AC50-417FF55695C0.jpeg
    When you see this with road conditions like this you slow way down, shut the music of and go in to full heightened protection mode like something could go horribly bad at any second.
    You certainly don’t go beboping down the road with music blairing like it’s a 80 degree sunny day.

Tombstone69, Bud A., tucker and 5 others Thank this.
  8. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I saw the extended version of this video which shows the preceding several seconds of footage of the police cruisers going along the highway with their lights on and the truck was merging onto the main highway with the police cruisers. Now that I have seen the full clip, the trucker definitely should have been slowing down in anticipation of something he was going to be coming up on. Trucker probably thought the activity the police were responding to was several kilometers up the road-- mistake!

Bud A., SteerTire, Hulld and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    People will cut you off and while standing on the brake pedal. Often to try and get a big insurance settlement. There's other situations also.

10. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    There's another version? Maybe that explains some of the comments that I find baffling.

I see road conditions that aren't bad. Traffic is very light. Looks like the plow hasn't been by for a while and traffic has been mostly following the same path which is why the road surface is visible in parts. It's not likely very slippery. Normal highway speeds would be fine when visibility allowed.

At the time the first cop car disappeared into a cloud of snow dust the truck driver likely could have seen the vehicles in the accident had he been looking. The truck got on the highway and was still accelerating until the point he saw the cars on the side and started moving over.

I spend more time that I'd like in conditions like that and it's not hard to stay out of trouble. Accelerating into a cloud that wasn't there until the cop created it isn't the way to stay out of trouble. The second cop and the truck driver both failed to observe/react to things that should be obvious.

bigguns and not4hire Thank this.
  11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Okay. So if you are in lane 1 and a car or other vehicle is in lane 2. You are in the process of beginning to safely pass the vehicle in lane 1. The vehicle in lane 1 goes out of control and swerves or slides into lane 2, just as you're now sharing the same spatial area. You are going to assume responsibility for hitting the vehicle in the rear or side? I just need to make sure I understand you correctly

It's possible for you to momentarily "follow too close" and its not your doing. I just need to hear you say you will accept responsibility for the actions of others.

Rubber duck kw Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.