Trucking in the 90's

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by KRAKAJACKJONSON, Sep 24, 2011.

1. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.

Ya not worried, got my CDL permit and dot physical done and have a local school that will give me truck time and get me my lic. all for a mere $60. an hour,I have been to the school and they evaluated my current skills, The instructor says about 10-15 hrs and I should be good to go.

Now finding work not worried either living in this major trucking hub and everyday I see 75-100 new jobs available. I'm looking to stay local or possibily upper midwest regional.

KRAKAJACKJONSON Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. richerdman

richerdman Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2011
    birch bay,wa
    i dont drink coffee or smoke i just figured those were the lesser of the evils

4. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    I dont smoke, and only one cup of mud in the morning, sometimes Ill have two but thats at the very most, the only thing i will use, if I get the mid-day drupy eyes is 5 hour energy, they work great and no crash, just like they advertise.

5. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    glad to hear there's plenty of local work for you, where i live, there nothing!, unless you want to work for $10 per hour, I cant!, would loss everything i have,

6. richerdman

Mar 13, 2011
    birch bay,wa
    those things are trash they advertise no sugar but the funny thing was i rooved that b.s when i checked my glucose it was 89 i drank one of those i rechecked 45 minutes later 357 they advertise no sugar directly but there is in the other stuff they are all crap if you cant stay awake behind the wheel take a nap if your dispatch yells at you for taking a nap to be safe maybe you need a new job just my opinion...i can personally do 11 hours a day strait or whatever and never need a nap its all about diet and stuff now im 6'0 237 but i get bye with no problem yeah i have an occasional slow dragona** day but i just feel if you need that to get bye maybe you should redue your sleeping habit no load is worth pushin yourself that hard anymore

Ops85 Thanks this.
  7. richerdman

Mar 13, 2011
    birch bay,wa
    dont feel badi live in the far n.w corner of washington on i-5 there aint crap up here companies wanna pay .30 mer mile if that for exp. i got lucky finding holland and i am shocked they will deadhead me from as far as portland,oregon to get me home

8. Big John

Big John Road Train Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Well at least back in the 90's drivers were still using the citizen band radio (CB for you youngsters, you know that box that lights up with a long cord with a microphone at the end of it and you talk into it and people talk back to you) to communicate but least we don't have to stand around the truck stop waiting on some one to get off the pay phone.

9. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Well, I still don't have a qualcom, I call the dispatcher once in the morning, my trucks not limited and the speed limits around here are 75mph, oh and my van at the house still has green shag carpet on the walls.. yeaaah baby.

gt4jk Thanks this.
  10. JChors

JChors Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Newport, OR
    Ah, the 90's! I used to work 3 weeks, then take 3-days off in Cali. I would bobtiail from Fontana to the Central Coast, using my truck like an RV. By the time I was done I'd driven 750+ miles on company fuel and they would say NOTHING! Back then that was one of the privileges of being an OTR driver. No more.

Fuel costs have excluded such memorable times. In '99 you could buy a gallon of diesel (or gasoline) for $.73 a gallon. We'll never see those days again.

11. skinnytrucker

skinnytrucker Heavy Load Member

Jan 24, 2009
    U.P. of Michigan
    I tried to explain to my 15 year old son a while back about how I used to call home collect at a payphone because we didn't have cellphones back then. Needless to say he looked at me as though I was speaking a foreign language to him. Those really were the good ol days. Never thought I'd live long enough to say that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.