Trucking is a lifestyle is a big fat lie

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by C.S.T, Jan 13, 2018.

1. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I don't think you've done it long enough to realize it's a lifestyle. I'm at 7 months now, and its definitely a lifestyle. After missing weddings, funerals, family gettogethers, etc etc, you realize it's not a normal job. It's a lifestyle. Living out of a fiberglass box is not normal.

For 4 months, every time I got home it was pouring down rain or had just rained and I couldn't work in the yard. My house looks abandoned. Today is the first day since the end of September that I could work in the yard, and its still very muddy and 32 outside, but I have to get my yard cleaned up.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. C.S.T

C.S.T Light Load Member

Nov 15, 2017
    Could you request those days off?. I'm home every weekend. I do Southeast regional. I know it guys out there for 3 to 4 weeks at a time . They chose that career. I wanted to be home on weekends so I chose that career.

Paddlewagon Thanks this.
  4. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Very under appreciated band.

Vic Firth, bzinger, 201 and 2 others Thank this.
  5. PandaPancake

PandaPancake Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2017

[​IMG]

Dan.S Thanks this.
  6. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    We call this paying ones dues... Most of us have been through it, and it is what it is. Only you can change that situation. I bought a truck, on my seventh, and I think I'm happy, just don't ask me what "normal" is. ;-)

Hammer166, 201 and bzinger Thank this.
  7. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    It'd be more of a life style if you sleep, eat and live in your truck on a more permanent basis then it does become a life style

Justrucking2 and bzinger Thank this.
  8. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Sounds silly, but I have always slept better in my truck(s) than I have at home. But, I started in my twenties, I left home the day I graduated HS... 35 years later, I am still living out of a bag. And I still have the bag, she is worn and tattered, but gets the job done. And yes, I own a house, sitting in the dining room right now. This is my third one... I just got a credit card, first one in years, Home Depot, and the guy that sold me on it was an old customer of mine... Life is funny. ;-)

C.S.T Thanks this.
  9. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Yeah its a lifestyle I enjoy .
    I also own the truck and make a decent living at it without killing myself .
    It doesent bother me all to stay out a month ...butttttt.
    My truck is nice and comfortable with most amenitys and it is a business not a vacation .
    And I call most of the shots .
    Would this be a good situation for a young family man ? He'll no !
    I'm 55 single and my kids are grown ...and its been my career for over 30 years accident free .
    I come and go as I please and only answer to God , myself, my company and my creditors ..
    But no way I'd have been in this facet of the industry as a married man with young kids .

tucker and Hammer166 Thank this.
  10. C.S.T

C.S.T Light Load Member

Nov 15, 2017
    I have a girlfriend at home. Her only concern be when I'm coming home. She kinda relax now since I be home on the weekends. When I first left, she cried till she couldn't cry no more. That's my baby though. I want her to get on the road with me but.........
    We could live in the truck rent free, light bill free and money in the bank

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.