Trucking School Costs

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Skytz33, May 14, 2018.

1. Skytz33

Skytz33 Bobtail Member

May 14, 2018
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I live in South Florida and I’m looking to get my 160 hour training that is required to get my CDL. The price appears to be around $3000.00.

I see some companies will reimburse up to $7000.00 in tuition and that confuses me. What do people usually pay for CDL training around the USA?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    the 160 hour course can run anywhere from $2,500 to $5,000

the full course can run anywhere rom $5,000 to (YES) $12,000, especially at the CDL Mills that have more than one location.

UP TO reimbursements are a fine line to balance on, YOU have to ask the company what THEY MEAN, the full course or the short course, as that question i cannot answer.

GeecheeMan and Skytz33 Thank this.
  4. Skytz33

Skytz33 Bobtail Member

May 14, 2018
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    It appears that I shoul=d go with the one approved by the company and to also get the lowest price since all I need to do is pass the CDL test and then obtain the real training from the company that I will be working for.

5. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    many trucking companies have "paid training"...but you will have to work for them for x amount of time, otherwise, YOU WILL HAVE TO pay them back the balance.

personally, i prefer to pay my own, and owe only the bank (or the student loan people) rather than to be a slave for x amount of time, and cannot seek better jobs until the contract id fulfilled.

Skytz33 Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I would eat the costs myself (I have...) and be free from company reimbursement. Company approved this company approved that means nothing to me. It actually tells me that the class is being fenced in like puppies to learn one company's particular ways which might not fit another.

Do not sign a promissory note or contract promising repay balance of that training with a company that hires you. Because about 70 of 100 new truckers are dismissed, or fired for a variety of really small reasons. In short, disposable. And there you are with a huge bill legally binding going into collections against you while you stand in the unemployment line.

I paid 2500 in the 80's that's about same as 6000 in today's inflated money. What I should have done is paid them off cash money, (Uncle Sam Student loan) within the first few months. I made my first 3000 in net take home pay within 7 weeks with my first employer back then.

Skytz33 Thanks this.
  7. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i think my student loan was for about $3,000 and i had to pay fee's, admission back then for about $300.

my student loan back then was about $55 per month, starting after the 6th month after graduation.

what i did back then and still do today with ANY loan is i either double up or add an extra (say) $50 to the payment to quickly pay down my debts.

pays off the loans faster.

x1Heavy and Skytz33 Thank this.
  8. Skytz33

Skytz33 Bobtail Member

May 14, 2018
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Here is the thing, most companies will pay for your training and help you pay it off in 12 months. If you leave before 12 mots then you are liable for the balance. That makes sense and it is fair. You are paying for it either way so I see it as a wash. One company I talked to did not prorate the amount already paid. I think that is criminal but it’s their way and you have to do your homework. Thanks again for your helpful response.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    which is why better to pay your own way. say if you are into your job 5 months, and a real sweet local job comes up and you gotta act NOW...

best to up and quit, owing the company ZERO dollars, and yes, you still have to pay back the loan, either way.

i just personally do not appreciate someone holding a dagger over my head and mess with the freight all the while, i owe them money...

do not forget, they take that money out of your weekly paycheck..they start messing with the freight, you got maybe $5.00 left for your actual paycheck, you gonna live a week off that $5..??????

Skytz33 Thanks this.
  10. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    too many people here every once in a while crying that they ain't made no weekly paychecks......and i mean mostly newbies. us OLD TIMERS know how to get our money each week, but then too, we have no company paid student loans holding us back.

you wanna live, or starve..????

11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Do your homework when you pick a school. Make sure that the companies that interest you will accept grads from those schools. Call them and they will tell you if they hire new grads and from which schools. Make sure it is at least a 160 hr school.
    Search your area for vocational schools or community colleges that may offer truck driver training.
    @Chinatown can help you with companies that hire from you area.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.