Trucking with mild asthma

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by BigpopperRunner, Jan 24, 2019.

1. BigpopperRunner

BigpopperRunner Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2019
    Hi guys! I was looking into the trucking industry since I didn't want to pay 250k for graduate school! Anyways long story short, I am a pre-physical therapy major, I have my undergraduate in kinesiology and I find it rewarding but pay is not good. IN order for us to make money we need to attend graduate school! I got accepted but rejected my seat and decided to look elsewhere. An undergraduate major in Kinesiology will only make $15 an hr MAX. My question is, if I have mild asthma, would it affect my ability to be a trucker going OTR or even local? I done sports all my life and hardly have to use my inhaler, except for certain occasions during winter time, but for the most part I have it pretty controlled. I have an inhaler that allows me to get 200 inhalation in and for the entire year I only use about 50 pumps. Any thoughts if asthma will disqualify me from being a trucker? Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Should only affect your ability if you plan on pushing the truck.

You are going to need a physical for cdl school. When you get that physical you may find out you can only get a 1 year card. Not the end of the world.

If you are under control, I doubt you would get bumped. Diabetics can get health cards now, hypertension patients get a 1 year card. You should be fine.

Good luck.

4. BigpopperRunner

Jan 10, 2019
    Thanks for the reply, when you say 1 year card, that means I have to re-new it every year then right?

5. BigpopperRunner

Jan 10, 2019
    When you say 1 year, I have to re-new it every year then right?

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Maybe a one year card.

I tell you what. Ive learned to sleep upwind in the truck parking where possible and on higher ground. The gases used to collect inside the sleeper making me sick now and then. Never mind your asthma.

Or coming over a 12000 foot mountain pass for a few hours. Your air saturation inside the blood will be below 90 until you adjust if you stayed up there long enough without getting mountain sick. I don't know if you want to be up there with that Asthma.

Or fueling a big rig in blizzard conditions 35 mph steady wind in your face with something around 20 below. Breathing in that cold environment is harder on a body.

Or my personal favorite. Delivering to a dusty receiver with alot of airborne particles. If that does not trigger your asthma I don't know what will.

7. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Correct. The doc that does your physical determines when you need another one. They can fail you, issue a 30 or 90 day card if they see something that needs attention, a 1 year card for things like diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea. And a 2 year card if you are healthy. Healthy trucker... now thats an oxymoron!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.