Trying to decide between Prime, Swift, or CFI

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Gambosa, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Gambosa

Gambosa Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I have often considered driving a truck professionally. I went on the truck with my dad as a child and teen. I think it has just been in my blood for a long time and it's now time to fulfill that dream. I cannot decide which school or company is best. I have done some research, but am sure I need to do more and there is no one better to ask than those with experience! My brother-in-law trained with and drove for CFI. He has drove for them twice now but can no longer drive due to serious health issues. When I first moved to Oklahoma I considered driving for Prime and I know they pay well. I kind of want to drive for the slow Swift company and help improve their reputation. My youngest son always tells me, "be that person who changes things for the company." I have learned one thing since the times my dad and his fellow drivers always asked, "if they're called Swift, why do they drive so slow"......it's because most of what they haul is steel or cobalt or another type of metal. I would prefer no freight handling, but know many companies require it. That is why I did not go with CRST, despite other wonderful things about them that had them a front runner originally.

I am looking for honest opinions on which company is best to work for and has the best equipment. Also which company has the lowest out of pocket school and training expense, since I've been unemployed for a while and cannot afford to pay anything up front for my training. Thank you all for your assistance and for your time :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Majestic 670

Majestic 670 Heavy Load Member

May 10, 2016
    Landcruiser
    I'm going Bananas

RoadRooster Thanks this.
  4. Gambosa

Dec 3, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Bananas are very good for you :) but why are you going bananas?

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Of those 3, I'd go with CFI.
    Also contact FFE (Frozen Food Express) and ask if they hire students from Oklahoma. I don't think their website is up to date on the hiring area for students.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Gambosa Thanks this.
  6. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    do your self a huge favor. dont start it. i bet your dad sure did miss a lot of you growing up. truck driving is a very lonely and tough life.

7. Gambosa

Dec 3, 2018
    Oklahoma
    He did, but my children are all grown at this point. Thank you for your input!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some of us would kill ourselves just from boredom. I can't imagine doing that or punching a time clock.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I never felt that way. If I had, would never have made a career out of it.

10. Gambosa

Dec 3, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I looked into their website & they sound like they care about their drivers and really want them to learn. My list may grow longer lol

11. Gambosa

Dec 3, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I'm not sure I'm up for the responsibility of owning my own truck, but thanks for the input and the idea!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.