Turn signal flasher, LED bulbs in rear, regular bulbs in front.

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Mr. Cob, May 12, 2024.

1. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Light Load Member

Howdy All,

When the Smart Car deck was built onto the rear of my truck, 2001 379, LED turn signal, tail and brake lights were installed, the front of the truck still uses regular bulbs. This was done 6 years ago and I have had no problems. However now I don't have any turn signals or flashers, the brake lights and tail lights still work.
    I found the flasher, what a job that was, with the ignition OFF, no key in the switch the flasher unit was quite warm, NOT hot but warm. I am "assuming" the flasher has failed and has shorted out internally.

So my question is, since I have both LED and regular bulbs do I need a special flasher? To my knowledge the flasher was not changed when the LEDs were installed on the rear of the deck. Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Dave

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    No. They do sell two kinds, heavy duty and just a regular one. but as far as something special the standard flasher works.

Mr. Cob Thanks this.
  4. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    If you want it to last with the load difference between the two types of bulbs you need to get an heavy duty electronic flasher. Truck parts houses carry them. They make them different lengths per how many bulbs they need to work. Some can flash up to 15 lamps. If you’ve ever noticed the leds and incandescent s will blink at a slightly different rhythm from each other. And will build more heat in the flasher itself. That is the reason for the electronic flasher. If that makes sense?

Mr. Cob Thanks this.
  5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    There are flashers available for the side of your headlamps that are LED.

When I changed all mine over to LED I had to buy a LED flasher unit - the low draw of the LED's are not enough to allow the function of the bi-metal strip in the regular flasher unit.

If I recall, I changed everything out over time, and the regular flasher worked until I removed the last 2 incandescent flashers. Mines a 1995.

Mr. Cob Thanks this.
  6. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Light Load Member

Howdy All,

The flasher I removed was the original, 1.6 million miles on it so I guess it did it's job. I replaced it with a heavy duty electronic one and now the turn signals and the 4 way flashers are working. Thanks to all who replied to my question.

Dave

7. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Good deal.

4 states in Joplin has those headlight indicators, they’re decent quality after 5 years for me.

Mr. Cob Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.