Types of truckers passing me

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Diantane, Feb 25, 2016.

1. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Agree 110% on those big bold red letters!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Not running against the governor all the time and not doing elephant races are ridiculous in your opinion. That's nice.

4. FatDaddy

FatDaddy Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Katy, TX or Swedesboro, NJ
    The last part of your statement. I have no problem not running against the governor.

But if you don't see why a 63mph truck wants to get past a 62mph truck when it's safe to do so (and yes there are times it's ok...gasp!!!)and you aren't willing to back down for 10-15 seconds... I'm not so sure I would be able to explain it to you.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    corneileous and Finalsomnia Thank this.
  5. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    I view it as an attempt to communicate and as such welcomed if not actually my preferred method... And as said, not a huge deal during the day. Even at night it's a moment and done. Still rather have some form of attempted communication than none.

6. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    So I need your permission to change lanes...?

7. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    I rarely run at max governed speed so no, I don't see why you would want to pass someone for such little gain.

I have no problem with someone who does if traffic is light and will gladly ease up for them but for a mile or two an hour difference it's not worth it IMO. It just seems there are way too many who run against the governor all the time and who will force their way over and slow everyone down for what will amount to nothing more than a minute or two savings. Makes no sense.

XZRF4 Thanks this.
  8. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    Well after 15 years of running a slow governed truck I have finally been set free. My Cascadia is ungoverned and I even brought it up to my manager. It went to Freightliner and the computer was never reset. He told me to keep it below 72 and be safe. The company caps there trucks at 68-70. I run from Texas to North Dakota every week and see 75 on the Kansas Turnpike and 80 on I-29 in South Dakota. I keep it at 70 and usually only get passed by the cattle haulers. It bothers me not one iota when I get caught behind a slower truck trying to pass someone. Believe YOU me, been there and done that!

I've also noticed that in places like west Texas and up in the Dakotas where the speed limit is 80, very few people exceed 75 or so. 2 out of 5 cars and maybe 1 out of 10 trucks will actually run 80.

9. Buckeye Don

Buckeye Don Bobtail Member

Dec 20, 2015
    N.E. Ohio
    I like the way my truck is governed. 70 mph on the cruise and 72 with the pedal. Nice to have that extra 2 mph when I want to pass.

PackRatTDI Thanks this.
  10. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    I agree with you and I'll typically back off too now that I'm in a governed truck because I know what it's like being held up by them.

However I get frustrated when the guy im following who is already going slower than me can't hold a steady speed on flat ground. I'm passing at that point, no reason to sit behind that crap and play their floor it-coast floor it-coast throttle game.

tinytim Thanks this.
  11. FatDaddy

FatDaddy Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Katy, TX or Swedesboro, NJ
    How about the fact he wants to pass you because once he's clear he can run in open space with out a truck in front of him.

How about if he slows down to match your speed....then the next 3 trucks all do the same and all of a sudden you have a convoy of turtles going down the road.

Then here comes the 5th guy doing 1mph faster who goes to get by and it's a turtle crawl for 30 miles.

All because you are too stubborn to back off for 10 seconds???

MidWest_MacDaddy and corneileous Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.