understanding truckers taxes

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by krazzyboi_44, Nov 14, 2018.

1. krazzyboi_44

krazzyboi_44 Light Load Member

Apr 30, 2008
    BAton Rouge,Louisiana
    I was waiting to get unloaded today and I over heard a coupe drivers talking about what they pay in taxes. One of the guys said he made about $180k and had to pay almost $80k in taxes. But the other guy said he made about $190k bout he pretty much wrote everything off so he paid about $2900 in taxes. So my question is writing everything off is the key to not paying back a lot in taxes?

CruzControhl Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. towmantater

towmantater Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2018
    When it comes to taxes, if it can be written off as a business expense, write it off. The IRS has a whole list of things that can be written off as business expenses. The trick with that though is to get an accountant who knows what they're doing. Always save your receipts and keep records, though. Anything I can write off I do.

4. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Write off everything you can. I could make 40k in profit this year and not pay taxes on it.

5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I’d advise consulting a CPA that is familiar with trucking taxes, and ignore most of the overheard conversations regarding tax matters.

CruzControhl, WVRose and REO6205 Thank this.
  6. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    sounds like one guy was talking about gross income and the other guy was talking net income ..... about the only thing a high gross income gets you is bragging rights .. net income you take to the bank the guy paying 80000 on a 180000 needs a new accountant .. that's over 40% in taxes on less than 250000 and the other guy was talking gross income and there's a good possibility they both exaggerated things a bit

7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Exactly right. A good CPA will save you money in the long run.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  8. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    You know...ive been asked a few good questions over the years by owner-operators that were actually intelligent questions

"How HARD should I work throughout the Year,I Don't want to owe $20,000 in taxes"

I Laugh when I see guys on Truckers Report Brag on How they Gross $230-$250k per year with their Truck

Hard to Hide Profit That way- Even a Motor and Trans will Still NET you over 80k after ALL expenses- Then your Tax liability can hit $25k.

I Recommend, A Sweet Spot on Gross revenues, Not too high,Not too low, I know,I know.......It "Hurts" Knowing you work your ### off all year just to Dump another 20k on 60-80k revenues.

You didn't hear this from me......But you Have to be 'smarter' than your typical person. Believe me,People do it all the time.

many,Many Restaurants, Quik stop stores and other forms of owning a business hide a lot of money- A LOT OF MONEY!!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  9. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    There are legitimate tax strategies you can use to reduce your taxes. An LLC can, in many circumstances, help with that.

* SEP retirement plan
    * Health, life, disability insurance benefits
    * Per diem
    * Company telephone, uniforms, PPE
    * Reduced FICA taxes (by taking part of the profits as wages, part as dividends)
    * Educational benefits

Etc, etc, etc. Yes, you should write off everything that is appropriate to write off, but you should also structure your business so that you can deduct as many things as possible. Per diem alone can save $8K in taxes. See your CPA for tax advise -- I do.

Finally, why would you EVER think of reducing your income to avoid taxes? If you make an extra 50K, the government takes 20K. You still keep 30K...... thank you very much, I'll take it. The more taxes you pay, the more money you keep.

pete1 and CruzControhl Thank this.
  10. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I’m the sole member and ceo of my company, Shaw Motor Freight LLC. I sent in form 2553 to the IRS that lets me file taxes as an s Corp.

For example, this is how it would be. Numbers pulled from thin air.

$350,000 gross
    -$150,000 expenses
    =$200,000 profit
    Pay myself a yearly w2 salary, $50,000.
    Remaining $150,000 is considered dividend.

Dividends is taxed much less then my salary which I need to pay self employment tax and more.

Mooseontheloose and CruzControhl Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.