Unemployed more than 3 years

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Happyhighvangirl, Jul 29, 2020.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I suppose, but let's see that "wanderlust" on a Friday afternoon, the receiver closed early, "See you Monday, and no, you can't park here",,,:mad:,,, then the phone calls begin, "Sorry sweetie, mommy can't be at your recital",,tell that to a 10 year old.

Doealex Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Happyhighvangirl Thanks this.
  4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Everything you say about trucking is true. But...if she doesn't try it herself she'll never know for sure.
    And who knows,,,maybe some of the things that you found objectionable she'll be able to shrug off and deal with.

tommymonza, Happyhighvangirl and 201 Thank this.
  5. DARKNIGHTRUCKER

DARKNIGHTRUCKER Light Load Member

May 3, 2020
    Coming from the perspective of someone who is at about 70- something days of trucking here , I can definitely vouch for not just getting into to because you like to "drive" and "travel".

You'll be away from your friends and family the vast majority of time if you're starting otr which most people do in trucking with no prior experience.

It's definitely a job and not a pleasure cruise. You'll be navigating through some incredibly tight spaces not meant for trucks , learning how to back in super tight spaces , dealing with cars constantly cutting you off with no warning, fighting fatigue as you get used to working up to 14 hrs in a day and driving up to 11 in a day and possibly not having weekends off . Dealing with bad managers /shippers, receivers, many other things.

And even though I haven't experienced it yet driving in bad frozen/snowy/extremely windy weather conditions makes it even harder.

Not to say that trucking is terrible career. Personally I love not having bosses hovering over me all day long and being able to set my own schedule sometimes as long as you deliver on time.

You just have to understand what you're getting into before you take the dive. Really it's not just a job it will be your life for the most part.

6. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Freedom of the road. See America from the cab of a Volvo on the Interstate.

rachi Thanks this.
  7. DARKNIGHTRUCKER

DARKNIGHTRUCKER Light Load Member

May 3, 2020
    I personally don't mind being away from home so much (no kids /wife/dependants) and I've been living at home for way too long so trucking is almost an escape for me from being stuck in my home town with no career.

But if you have really important attachments at home like husband/kids or something that's another huge factor. You're going to be away from them for very long periods of time . Probably number one reasons why most people don't want to be a truck driver .

okiedokie and 201 Thank this.
  8. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    OP, you just need to have accountability for the time. When I got into trucking I hadn’t officially been employed for about seven years. I work for flipping things that I bought and resold by going to auctions and such. Sold on eBay etc. all I had to show was my eBay sales account and I was good to go. It’s not illegal in this country (yet) to take some time for yourself and enjoy your life. Personally I think as an American citizen it’s freaking ridiculous that I have to show everything I’ve been doing for the last 10 years to the #### government to be able to drive a truck....t’s stupid anyhow, because you can make up just about anything and all they do is shove whatever you told them in a file and check it off. I wouldn’t worry about it.

9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I was voluntarily unemployed for around 3 years before I started driving too. Didn't need to work and I wanted to take some time while I was still young enough to enjoy it. All I needed to do was to be able to account for my time and verify what I was doing. Some phone numbers for people that knew was all I needed.

Rollr4872 Thanks this.
  10. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    $3-4k should do the work!

11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Yes, that's true, however, I'm still an opponent to unqualified drivers "checking it out to see if it's okay", it's why we have the crashes and turnover, and mjd's multiple posts, because someone, namely me, didn't give them the full skinny on the job, and it causes more problems to the public than it's worth. Sorry, as a country, we just can't keep having these mishaps with unqualified drivers who, "just wanted to check it out".

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.