Unloading a Reefer some furniture is a challange.

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by JakeJitsu86, Oct 12, 2018.

1. JakeJitsu86

JakeJitsu86 Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2018
    Hey everyone,

I am new to the community and I am having trouble with heavy loads of furniture loaded onto reefer truck beds. The issue is most warehouses have simple hand trucks that have wheels wide enough to take most of the furniture off. But every once and a while there is a large sofa or buffet that cannot be removed with a hand truck. They often have four wheelers but the wheels on most casters are too skinny to roll over the groves in a reefer floor and get stuck in the grooves.

Is there any carts that can accommodate heavy loads that have wheels wide enough to roll over reefer beds?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Try a pallet Jack.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Shop a wheel and caster specialty store locally or online. You should be able to find something that will work or stuff to modify a cart you may presently work with.

Even yard wagons that can be bought at Tractor Supply might be something that could be cut down to a lower profile. They have the soft wide tires you may be looking for.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That would be a one hell of a cart. Or a jack.

Try this instead.

Get a 10 gauge or thicker sheet of metal. (Don't you cut yourself...) 4 in total. One for each sofa wheel. A few feet long. Not too long and not too short. And yea wide so you don't fall into the next 5 grooves...

I guess if you got it in (Or someone did...) it's going to have to come out the same way.

When unloaded, Find a way to record that particular shipper of sofa, delivery to that customer into a little black book.

Make sure you refer to that book when someone asked how would you like to haul this nice furnature load? Make sure you do not have to put up with #### like this again.

Good luck.

In all my days I have never had a sofa on wheels inside a reefer. If I could not get to a Lowes to get sheet metal I would take 4 folgers metal coffee cans and cut them, unwind them and attempt to use that as at least sliding pads under the wheels.

You follow me?

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Might also shop “material handling supply” stores.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    Try a pallet jack.

Cattleman84, Farmerbob1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Be careful pumping that dam thing. That sofa will angle up on one end and punch out the bottom springs and covering on your jack forks. Lasso a dock person and haul him into the other end of that sofa and lift it straight.

9. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    What is unloaking????,

Cattleman84 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I googled unloaking.

433 Results.

Must be a new word and a evolution of English.

11. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    A lot of MI based carriers spec flat floor reefers due to their higher percentage of floral and furniture hauls. Maybe something to consider next time.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.