Unsanitary Trucks issued to new drivers, what can you do?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bozwik, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Refuse to drive it, until it is cleaned, sanitized and a new mattress installed.

DRTDEVL, JonJon78, nredfor88 and 5 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Pay off your loan with them and move on..simple.

4. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Pick a better company. Every truck I got from my company was fully detailed and washed. Inside and out. Heck. Every time you go back to the terminal. They wash it.

austinmike, JoeyJunk and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. Bozwik

Bozwik Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2022
    Mars, USA
    I've seen their detailing and it's more of a mask over the problems. Coffee drips inside crevices, stains not removed and odors that are masked over with perfume. I'll be contacting the owner today.

austinmike and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  6. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    4B489B51-6F1F-40FB-B015-38FBFE3F7206.png

Let’s ride.

Tmocha29, RubyEagle, TB John and 10 others Thank this.
  7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    That happened to me last year when i wrecked my truck. I rented a truck from the company while mine was bein worked on. Ive seen pig pens that were cleaner , but it was either thay or go sit at home for who knows how long it takes. And i paid 1200 a week for that mess. Smelled to high heaven of cigarettes. All my clothes smelled like cigs. I hate that smell. But i cleaned it to the best of my ability. And toughed it out. Now my situation is a bit different. But if you wanna work , and thats all they got and if u refuse then u get fired, and owe that student loan back. Well thats a choice u gotta make. Clean that truck to the best of your ability, to get it to where u can atleast sit down on the seats. Bobtail to a car wash big enough for a bobtail and use their vacuums and get some bottles of clorox sanitizer and odor eliminate cleaners. That stuff goes along ways towards atleast cleaning. Mix a spray bottle full of water and some bleach and spray all the panels and flooring. U can even find bleach at truck stops. Some water and vinegar goes along ways towards eliminating odors as well.... Its trucking, its not glamorous, we work in less than ideal situations to get the job done.

If you are a good employee you will get better equipment... They not going to give a rookie nice equipment to tear up on the first run...

So u have a choice to make, either put some elbow grease towards cleaning or walk and be on the hook for the loan. Your choice.

8. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Just remember if you’re the new “student” you better be prepared to walk.

You’re nothing more than an unproven major gamble for the company at this point.

Suck it up if you need the job and clean it up the way you like it. Ask the boss if they can cover the cost of a new mattress.

I live just south of you and I’m curious what company you choose..if you care to share.

austinmike, D.Tibbitt and Boondock Thank this.
  9. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    My company always cleans out trucks before being reassigned to another driver. Some terminals do a better job than others and getting rid of cigarette smell is a pain (not impossible).
    But, as others have mentioned, alot of stuff we have to contend with is less than ideal.
    My concern would be the mattress. I was given a brand new mattress when I got my first truck and I've always moved it with me. It's still good so don't need a new one. But, if I did, all I'd have to do is ask.
    Hope this isn't a bad forewarning about things to come with that company. But, if it is, I would recommend looking at what options you have about that 'contract' and not let it imprison you with a company not worth working for.
    Best of luck to you and welcome to trucking!

10. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    You signed a contract, deal with it.
    Pick truck in best mechanical condition.
    Pet and urine stain remover.
    Scrub brush and towel.
    Start small. Where you sleep. Then frtowel.
    A little each day when loading and unloading.
    If you complain you will dig a hole you can't climb out of.
    Start planning your next job for when contract is up. The year will go by fast.

nredfor88, Boondock and Concorde Thank this.
  11. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Your elbow greese is the only way to clean up that mess.

One easy way to de-grease the areas with the most coffee spills 'N such is club soda on a rag.

Lysol and Pine Sol are your friend.

Remove every removeable item to reach the nooks and crannies that were never cleaned since new.

New drivers don't usually startout in new trucks BUT the guys who work to have the nicest looking old horses usually rise up the list when the new hoses come in.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.