1. Mars Ultor

Mars Ultor Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2019
    Hi again folks.

So I've currently been offered positions for sponsored training from three companies. Pam Transport, JoAnne, and CFI.
    All three require me to get my permit first, though CFI will pay for the DOT physical and pays a higher starting CPM.
    I'm scheduled to do the DOT physical and take the permit test next week.

As you can imagine I've decided to go with CFI as the starting pay for a solo trucker is .35 CPM.

Any advice, suggestions, things to look out for etc?

RoadRooster and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    How did you learn of JoAnn's Logistics program? There's nothing on the website.
    Do you have some details? The company I found is in Lebanon, Tennessee.

4. Mars Ultor

Jan 24, 2019
    Chinatown,
    I don't recall exactly how I found out. Their training/recruiting seems to be handled through driver solutions. GreatCDLtraining.com I applied via their website I believe and was contacted by JoAnne. I seem to recall that the starting rate for newly trained drivers was .30 cents per mile which is why I'm moving forward with CFI.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Cfi has been good to me, been here 8 years, knew it wouldn't last.

Don't know about the others, but CFI trains you solo, no team driving with the trainer. Much safer approach, and a better learning experience for you.

6. Mars Ultor

Jan 24, 2019
    Good to hear. Do you know if they have fully moved over to only training/testing on automatic? I would prefer to test on a manual just so my license isnt restricted.

RoadRooster Thanks this.
  7. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    It pretty much all automatic these days, but the whole industry is going that way. Wouldn't be surprised if only the tankers still have manuals before long so I wouldn't sweat the restriction.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Tanker company I used to work for has switched to automatics. Drove one when I worked there and after that, swore I'd never drive a stick shift again if I had a choice. Love those automatics.

9. Mars Ultor

Jan 24, 2019
    I have no doubts that automatic is easier, Im just concerned about limiting my opportunities if I cant legally drive manual. BTW when I go take the permit test next week I will be doing the HAZMAT and Tanker tests as well, but do those have seperate driving tests too or does just passing the written get you the enforsement once you pass the driving portion?

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Just the written test.

11. Mars Ultor

Jan 24, 2019
    Good to know. Thanks
    Another question, do any CDL schools do "refresher" type courses for people who already have a CDL and just want to learn to drive manual to get rid of the restriction?

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.