Urgent help - Is a 3-7-7-3 split sleeper birth possible or are only 3-7-3-7 allowed?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MaineRoad96, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Because you were off duty NOT sleeper. So you didn't complete the split.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    My most common use of a split is to use the 2 to 3 hours off duty portion to stretch out my 14 to allow me to fit things within my 14 hour window. Afterward, I most commonly just take a full 10 instead of just the 7 to 8 hour sleeper berth portion. It just usually makes more sense to do it that way. Stay off for 2 to 3 more hours to complete the 10 and then I have a full clock.
    However, as mentioned, if you take one part of the split, you have to show the other part. So, while I'm taking a full 10, I have to ensure I show 7 to 8 hours of that, continuously in sleeper berth or else it is technically a violation. And, FYI, you don't have to start the sleeper berth portion immediately. So, I'll stop for my 10, go to off duty, grab food, or shower or chores or whatever until I'm ready to sleep. I may accrue a couple of hours off duty before I start the sleeper berth portion. And, that's fine. I just have to ensure I complete the 2nd half of the sleeper berth portion before I start my on duty or driving clock again.
    And, for the record, I may be alittle tired and fatigued at times, especially pulling multiple splits back to back. But, I do not drive drowsy and sleepy. If I start getting sleepy, I WILL find the next safe place to park it and get some sleep. I do my best to be responsible with my rest so that I don't negatively effect my drive time stuff. But, I WILL and DO pull over and stop anytime I am in a situation where it is unsafe for me to be driving. No exceptions. My number one priority is being a safe driver. If I can not drive safely, I'm parking it until I can. Like I've told my boss, I simply will not do something I feel is unsafe to do. You can fire me for it, but I'm still not going to do it. My safety is about self preservation and I'm not taking what I feel is an unsafe risk.

4. supergreatguy

supergreatguy Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2020
    Brother, just unplug it. Kick your feet up and make sure to toss the bottles out of the window.

hope you figured it out

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  5. MaineRoad96

MaineRoad96 Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2022
    Yeah that's what I normally do too. I use the 2-3 hour sleeper births at shippers and receivers or just taking breaks waiting for rush hour to past in big cities, then do a full 10 afterwards. I agree it's much easier that way. However, to make my appointments on time I had to run like this doing a 3-7-7-3 split. First time I've ever HAD to run conescutive splits back to back in order to make my upcoming appointments on time.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  6. MaineRoad96

MaineRoad96 Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2022
    When I said I was confused, I was confused regarding the split sleeper birth rules and to the crazy math that was involved in all of this (in my particular situation those few days). On my best day I need to be sharp when I'm doing math and I was like that during school too. Being confused in regards to the math and to the rules is a far cry from being confused in the context of my mental state. I didn't think that I needed to spell that out for everyone but maybe I should have.

Also, I said I was a BIT tired. BIT. A BIT.

Yes, drivers drive when we are a bit tired. Drivers are rarely at 100% energy levels when they drive. I'm not trying to be rude to either of you when I say this, but I'm a grown man and I can fully decide when I am and when I am not fatigued to drive. I am not new to the industry and I know my limits. If you would have read my long posts you would have seen I pulled over to take a break and sleep when I needed to that night. I don't need internet strangers diagnosing my alertness and ability to drive, again you both seemed to have taken my words out of context (not in a malicious way of course, it just happens sometimes when reading posts on the internet).

Again I didn't mean to come off as rude in this post and I hope I don't, I just wanted to clarify on the "confused" and "a bit tired" responses towards me as I am a responsible driver.

ghostcookie and tarmadilo Thank this.
  7. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I don't have to do back to back splits 0ften, but I have done enough that I don't think I can remember exactly how many times. I do remember running splits for 3 days in a row once. I don't think I've done it for 4 days in a row. FYI, between naps and 6 to 7 hours of sleep during the sleeper berth split part, I manage to keep myself from getting too tired, fatigued or sleepy to drive safely. Basically, if I get too tired, fatigued or get sleepy I will and have shut down. Comsequences be da**ed. As I told the folks I work for, I will not do something I don't think is safe. You can fire me, but I still ain't doing it!

8. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    3 7 7 3 is perfectly legal. Just like 2 8 8 2. I make an extra $10k a year by doing the splits every night.

9. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    This is good stuff here, responding to the second paragraph. Basically what you’re alluding to at the end of the day is your CDL, is your CDL and that’s the golden card you keep in your wallet. It’s not your companies, it’s not your dispatchers, it’s not your driver managers, it’s yours. The less you put yourself in a position that jeopardizes your CDL, the better off you’ll be. I use that with my dispatchers when they push me to do something I’m not comfortable with….” You’re not out here, and I’m not risking my CDL“ Like the time I was in the middle of New York City and they wanted me to find somewhere that had a fax machine so they could send me a fax because they forgot to give me the proper paperwork. Told him I was going to the receiver as planned on my trip route and on my GPS and getting the hell out of New York I wasn’t gonna drive around the middle of the city in an 80 foot truck trying to find a business that had a fax machine. Lol

10. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Exactly who's paying to see you do the splits? LOL

scottied67 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.