USA Truck Journey - STARTS

Discussion in 'USA Truck' started by Gold_Miner, Aug 16, 2013.

1. J_FROG

J_FROG Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    49 states and Canada
    Oops, forgot to mention. You need to get it approved through breakdown BEFORE you drop it off at the dealer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gold_Miner

Gold_Miner Medium Load Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Burnet, TX
    Went to Chicago to drop a trailer at Norfolk Southern. What a place... Man it was a nightmare to find the empty I was supposed to pick up and then even more a nightmare to get out of there and back on a road meant for a big truck.

From there I went to Grainger on Laramie Ave. It went ok there, but the trailer I was picking up was damaged, someone hit the side of the trailer and put a big gouge in it. Dispatch told me to deliver it to Grainger in Mississipin in the morning.

So far been a busy week...

I have also been doing some math on HOS and Maximum Miles you can run in a perfect world in 7 days.

If you have 70 hours to drive to start for 8 days, then you have to pre-trip for minimum of 15 minutes each day (2 hours for 8 days) that takes you to 68 hours for an 8 day period.

Then if you fuel 5 times (which is my average in 8 days) and put 15 minutes for a fuel stop that (1 hour and 15 minutes). That leaves 66.75 hours for an 8 day period.

If you deliver 8 loads and put 15 minutes for each load as a delivery (2 hours) that leaves you 64.75 hours available to drive in a 8 day period.

If you were to drive the entire 64.75 hours for 8 days in a 62 mph hour truck (This means you are running wide open with no traffic, etc. the whole time) 64.75 hours x 62 mph truck = 4014.5 miles in 8 days.

So if you want to see how many miles per day you can average if you are a super trucker that would be 4014.5 / 8 = 501.81 average max miles per day. So if you are a super trucker and can run wide open the whole time you can only get 501.81 x 3512.68 miles per week max.

I did the numbers with a more realistic figure of averaging 55 MPH and came up with 3116 miles in a 7 day period. Sure you can have weeks that are way over these numbers, because you ran the miles in the previous week, but the math does not lie. You are either lying about how many miles you average a week or you are really being creative on your log book.

That is my 2 cents on the miles per week thing.

4. DGStrong71

DGStrong71 Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2013
    70° west
    That's just like a beginner driver to accuse a more experienced driver of being creative on the log book. You probably don't even have the 2 years experience you claim to have. Also, you have either just gotten the very first Grainger load every out of Chicago that was bound for MS or you are FOS. All the Grainger loads out of Chicago are going to OH and SC loads. Some of us have been with the company long enough to know the freight. You should post a pic of the Q/C load assignment.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    Thomas0810 Thanks this.
  5. J_FROG

J_FROG Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    49 states and Canada
    Planning your 10 hr break at a fuel stop saves you the 15mins used to fuel because you can do your pretrip at the same time.

6. DGStrong71

Feb 22, 2013
    70° west
    I combine PTI and fuel stops every change I can. Safety doesn't like it because it doesn't waste enough hours but its not illegal and there's no set amout of time that must be spent on each task.

7. J_FROG

J_FROG Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    49 states and Canada
    There's not a set time for either, but they could make it a company policy. No need to do that if you are doing a good pretrip and keeping your truck in shape. It only takes a few minutes each day to get a good look at everything. What else are you going to do while waiting to get loaded or unloaded?

Gold_Miner Thanks this.
  8. DGStrong71

Feb 22, 2013
    70° west
    I totally agree. I get quite a few loads that I wouldn't have enough hours to run if I didn't combine fuel and PTI's. I sometimes have to get fuel wherever I'm able to shutdown so that I can combine the two regardless of fuel solution stop or not. I tell dispatch the situation and they authorize the fuel if needed.

Gold_Miner Thanks this.
  9. Gold_Miner

Gold_Miner Medium Load Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Burnet, TX
    Dropped off my Grainger load at Southhaven, MS this morning and picked up a paper load in Morrilton, AR going to Kalamazoo, MI. I only get 8.25 hours on my 70 back at midnight, so I am going to try and run about 450 from here in North Little Rock. Kalamazoo is about 760mi from here and load is supposed to deliver at 0700 on Monday.

10. DGStrong71

Feb 22, 2013
    70° west
    Well... I'm happy to hear that we have more loads coming out of the Chicago Grainger now. I've never gotten anything out of there except Macedonia, OH, Fountain Inn, SC and the occasional Denver, CO loads that I've not seen again in almost a year now.

11. J_FROG

J_FROG Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    49 states and Canada
    About 3 weeks ago I played shuttle all day and dragged all the USA empty trailers from Fountain Inn, Sc to another company in NC. So if you go there and don't find an empty you know why.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.