USA trucking company, how would you rate them?

Discussion in 'USA Truck' started by USmarine64$, May 1, 2019.

1. Arel3

Arel3 Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2018
    True. And I understand that as well as my many years of being a class 8 mechanic does not count at all toward driving experience. I learned a ton of things about what a driver has to do and goes through I had no clue about already and expect to learn more as I gain more experience.

I tried to find a regulation on footwear but could not find it but I also agree flipflops should not be worn to drive any vehicle. Especially not a class 8 vehicle. It's not safe and I shake my head disgusted every time I see a driver climb out of a semi after stopping and they have flipflops on, or when I see them at customer stops with them or sandles on standing in front of a notice requiring close-toed shoes be worn. I personally don't even own sandles or flipflops. I wear close-toed shoes, usually steel or composite protection over the toe.

My display name is Arel3, Sir.
    I'm not upset about 500 miles per day. They dispatch me multiple trips per day that all together equal over 800 miles they expect and demand I do, and do on time, or be written up for "failed load". It is not legally possible to drive 800 miles as per HOS log regulations. I'm not misunderstanding the regulations. It seems you mis-read my post as you did my display name (handle). No big deal...thanks for replying. There truly are good and bad companies.

I wasn't written up for not doing a post-trip I was "coached" by a safey department keyboard jockey. I was supposedly written up by my former fleet manager for a load I delivered (on time) for a "failed load" because I didn't wake up when she wanted me to / on her command like the good little robot-slave she wants everyone below her title to be.
    ....because I didn't have to be awake at that time and I was so fatigued from the illegal 800 mile runs for 14 days straight when I fell asleep I was unwakeable.

And by the way..the pay was weak. Neither of those weeks checks even cleared $800. And I don't have any odd deductions I don't even have deductions being taken out for insurance.

I can and will drive 500 miles per day. I will not drive past regulation laws. No adjustment needed.

Post-trip inspections are NOT required by FMCSA laws and regulations:
    "Regulations Section

Question 25: Section 396.11 requires the driver, at the completion of each day’s work, to prepare a written report on each vehicle operated that day. Does this section require a "post trip inspection" of the kind described in§396.15?

Guidance: No. However, the written report must include all defects in the parts and accessories listed in §396.11(a) that were discovered by or reported to the driver during that day."

That is directly from the fmcsa.gov website. Post-trip inspections are not required.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    How can you prepare a written report on the condition of the vehicle without inspecting it?

Sorry for the confusion on being written up for failing to do a post trip.

i read that as meaning you got wrote up for not doing a post trip.

As for being forced to violate hos, usa like every big dry van starter company, has been on elogs for years. They aren't going to force you to run over hours. Is your dispatcher a nitwit and didn't realize a load can't be completed legally? Quite possibly. Thats where you got to communicate your concern but don't flat out refuse the load.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  4. Arel3

Arel3 Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2018
    You obviously can't. I included a link to the FMCSA website so anyone interested can look. The subject of post-trip inspections seems the be victim of communication or info being mixed up or incorrect or ignorance (by definition: lack of knowledge) or something. I've heard quite a few drivers say post-trip inspections are required, others say it's not. There is the official FMCSA answer to the question = it is not.
    No big deal. And nope, I was only scalded through a message on the truck's AROD for not doing the post trip (peoplenet...my assigned tractor hasn't been updated yet). I was threatened by the now former fleet manager who was a nasty person to be written up for what she called a failed load...for a poad I delivered...on time. I think her actions like that, the way she treated people, and maybe I wasn't the only one tp report her to FMCSA are some of the reasons she is no longer managing the fleet. I'm not positive if she's still with the company or not but I am relieved I don't have to deal with being treated like she treated probably everyone and her nasty demeanor.
    Haha...I had the same thoughts in light of the nitwit scenario. I had first called and asked before declining the loads on the AROD. When I spoke to the planner and said I can't legally do all he dispatched because of HOS regs and just plain reality (he gave 10 minutes for 3 drop and hook back to back that all together was 867 miles he planned and dispatched to be completed in 16 hours total from when I got the workflow pre-plan...in and out of a DC gate for a drop and hook in 10 minutes? Impossible. That many miles in 16 hours? Not legally possible within regulations.)

He whined, pouted, and argued and tried belittling me "You can't do 300 miles in a day?! Do you have medical issues?"
    I replied that 300 miles is only one of the 3 trips. The miles together for all 3 trips are over 800. I cannot legally do it.
    After a long pause and more pouting..."Ah...mmm...oh, ummm, yeah. Well can you try to get it all done by the appointment times that are set?"
    No. This dispatch and your trip plan is illegal. I'm declining it. You need to change it and give it more time or spread these loads between more drivers.
    He just hung up and a few minutes later the load was cancelled.

I have peoplenet on my assigned truck. To my knowledge the messages can be tracked. If I would accept the load and claim I can legally do them that's me committing to them in writing so legally I'm then liable for it. I'm not doing that to myself. So they get declined if I can't legally do them.

5. Craymarris

Craymarris Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2013
    You think you'll do better owning your own truck. Freight rates are at a 30 year low and many brokers forces you to file a bond.

The trucking industry is on life support.

nextgentrucker Thanks this.
  6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Are you high? Rates are fine. Sure they suck compared to 17 and 18, but those were high marks that had never been reached in the history of trucking. 19 was just an average year for rates and so far 20 has turned out to be about the same.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.