WalMart drivers word to the wise...

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by foggy, Aug 18, 2020.

1. JStokley

JStokley Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2021
    I had an opportunity 6 months ago to go from Central freight to Walmart. I took a week of vacation to go to onboarding at Searcy AR. They said it was the 17th class they had this year, and there were 42 in my class. Red flag #1 . The company advertises that their drivers average .89 cpm. Talking with another driver who had worked for them previously, I found out that actual pay is .49 cpm starting out. Top out pay is. 54 cpm. Red flag #2. Anyone that's been through their onboarding knows that the first day is drug screening, HR and company policies. Day 2 you start doing their pretrip, backing and road test. But they are practice tests. While on the road test with a trainer, I notice a driver facing camera and say oh Walmart runs cameras? Trainer says, yea but they aren't turned on only the outward facing one is. Red flag #3. On Thursday is the real deal. If you pass their tests you are officially a Walmart driver, and can go home. I pass all 3 the first time. I get home and email that I've decided to stay with Central Freight. Even after getting laid off from Central last week, I feel I made the correct choice for me. We as truck drivers have enough crap to put up with from the DOT without being micromanaged by a company. Walmart doesn't assign trucks to new hires until you get a bid run, which may take years. So I'd have to slip seat a sleeper truck. ## that. Not to mention, I'd have to give up my home daily, off every weekend and holidays job.

Grouch, Cat sdp, JolliRoger and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jackoboyo

jackoboyo Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2014
    I hope you get a home daily weekends off job to replace the one you lost.

4. JStokley

JStokley Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2021
    I did.

Grouch and Lonesome Thank this.
  5. fuel463

fuel463 Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2019
    I work 12 hour days 4 days a week. Time and a half after 40 all 8n a day cab. Enjoy my long weekends, hope I never do otr, or regional with 34 hour re sets again

6. fuel463

Feb 17, 2019
    We have a driver that left us for Walmart. Talked to him a couple days ago and he likes it there alot. He really likes how quickly he has earned PTO. Personally I would not like slip seating a sleeper

Lonesome and JStokley Thank this.
  7. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    My opinion.

Last spring I had thoughts of going over to Wally to finish my career. Had several phone conversations w a lead manager at the Menomonee, WI. DC. Nice gal.
    Had me scheduled for onboarding in IL in June.
    Already had plans to go to Mexico for the wife's dental work and told her I needed to push dates back till late fall after both dental visits had been complete.
    She has continued to leave me messages reminding me how the recent negative changes for drivers were being rescinded and going back towards previous policies...lol
    We have 2 ex WM drivers here now and 1 who left us for the fleet years ago that I text/speak with so it was hard get an unbiased opinion.
    After weighing the pro/cons of switching employers I felt the move was, at best, a lateral one, w the pay (cut) and being away from home each week the deciding factors for me.
    Slip seating not a factor nor the 60+ mile commute once a week.
    I also compared the forecasted stock growth of both as it pertains to investment in a retirement 401/Roth. Up 25% vs down 2% ytd.

I decided to stay put at my private carrier till retirement.
    The job at WM for a younger driver offers a great stable future. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the company for a long term driving career.
    Yeah it's a corporate regimented job but... you're payed for all of your time!
    Can't count the number of hours driving OTR that I gave away my time in the name of the "freedom" of the lifestyle.
    The funny thing about "compensation " in our industry is it is never calculated in term of "time"..away from home, family and the pursuit of personal fulfillment, whatever yours may be.

The industry slide continues imho.

Cat sdp Thanks this.
  8. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Red flag #4. It’s my understanding that the Wally World uniform is NOT tailor fitted.

Let it be noted that Frank Speak stands for:

DEATH before off the hanger garments!

mjd4277, Bumper, JStokley and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    I figured up what Wally advertises in the form of pay, plus 5 1/2 days out, I put time against pay and it came out to around $12 per hr. Oh, now I hear, "oh you can't count the hours you are sleeping", I do!! I do not care if I am driving, sitting a dock or in the sleeper, I am away from home and in the real world still "on duty". A driver is never really off when he is on the road.

401-Alex and Dennixx Thank this.
  10. fuel463

Feb 17, 2019
    Think your looking for negatives

Lonesome Thanks this.
  11. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Grouch? Naw, never happen!

Bumper, Grouch and fuel463 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.