Walmart has no plans to ban trucks.

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by skibum_63, Dec 17, 2014.

1. texasbbqbest

texasbbqbest Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    True.

For me: I've never been to one that hasn't been packed. Maybe I just go at the wrong time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Warrior Pump

Warrior Pump Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2015
    On Wednesday night I parked at the Wal-Mart in Lonoke, Arkansas (exit 175 of I 40). There was a no trucks sign. When I got there I was the only truck in the lot and I got a little nervous. A few minutes later another truck arrived (as did several others). I parked so that I was far from the store and facing the exit (I only took up one set of spaces). I decided to try this place here as I always see trucks parked here (I have a dedicated route) and I didn't feel like dealing with the Petro in North Little Rock. Since Lonoke is a small town (less than 5,000 people) I figured the parking lot would not be too crowded. It is worth noting that this Wal-Mart is only open from 6 AM to midnight. When I left at 6:30 in the morning there were about a dozen other trucks there (as well as some RVs).

4. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    According to the Walmart website, there are approx 4250 Walmart stores in the US. According to the quote from CDL life, the Walmart spokesperson said truck parking is determined at the store level, according to local laws and safety issues.
    You can spend the rest of this and any other thread speculating and spreading anecdotal experiences, most of which will be out of date before long.

Very simple really. Try to park out of the way. Walk inside to courtesy desk and ask for an available manager. Ask if it is ok to park while you shop, no more than 2 hours. Do not park longer than that. It is not Walmarts, or any other private facility to subsidize you or your company for an expense your company is responsible for, namely parking your 70 foot long 80,000 lb vehicle for a 10 hour break. Does Walmart park its trucks at Home Depot?

Ougigoug and texasbbqbest Thank this.
  5. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Where the hell is the courtesy desk?

Studebaker Hawk Thanks this.
  6. RubyEagle

RubyEagle Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Plainfield Indiana WalMart has a few rows of trucks parked there always.

7. texasbbqbest

texasbbqbest Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    I think they usually have them in the front of the store, in front of the checkout lines. Usually accompanied by a glasses shop, lotto tickets/cigarette counter, and some times a Sports Fan Shop (depending on location).

8. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    Walmart could make a fortune charging drivers $5-10 a night to park in their parking lots with all the real estate they own

Jabber1990 and texasbbqbest Thank this.
  9. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Manchester, TN I-24 x-114 has about a dozen designated truck spots
    Effingham, IL (the exit with the T/A, not sure what exit number)....it is north of the F'g interstate...they have a dozen F'g dedicated F'g spots for F'g trucks... (or should it be Effing spots for Effing trucks?)

There is a Walmart in Mechanicsburg, PA (between Carlisle and Harrisburg) that is one of those mentioned where you get towed or your wheel gets booted. I worked for Crete which has a yard a few miles away and one of our drivers got towed while on a 34 when he went on a grocery run. Turns out it's not Walmart but the property owner, which also owns a towing and recovery business, that is doing this. Lowe's got so sick of this guy they closed their store on that property and moved down the street. The Walmart manager says Walmart's own trucks aren't allowed to park there, even out back. Some have even been booted and towed. The manager said that after this a-hole started doing this to trucks and RV's, they had about a 10% drop in revenue because most truck drivers and RV owners don't come in for just a few things, they come in to stock up. They were hoping that corporate was going to build elsewhere and stick the guy with another empty building...but the recession hit and plans were shelved.

I personally won't patronize any Wally that has the cross bar on the entrance....just a principal thing(sorta like the segregation crap of the 60's, it's my own Rosa Parks type protest). I will patronize those that have designated truck spots as often as possible.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  10. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

Ohio,I-75 at Cin-Day road exit, just north of Cinci.
    They have signs everywhere no RV or truck parking but the place looks like a truck stop.
    The cops even sit there and watch sometimes...
    I'm not a fan of Walmart parking but do it once in awhile....

11. RetiredUSN

RetiredUSN Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    A very small percentage of drivers ruin things for everyone else. I watched a A&R Bulk Transport driver unload his trash (with pee bottles) onto the parking lot at my local Walmart here in Virginia Beach. I had just came out of the store with some fishing lures when I saw him do this. I have my Cobra 25 in my pickup and hit him up on channel 19...............C'mon dude! He told me to go "F" myself. I pulled up in front of his truck and politely told him that I would call the police, and get the store manger out there if he tried to pull out. I took a couple pics of him through the his windshield and his truck number. My wife wanted to kick his butt.

I hate squeelers, but this guy crossed the line. He eventually got down and picked up his mess. I thanked him and drove off.

TokyoJoe and Ougigoug Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.