Want to get into trucking, advice?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by HopefulOleTrucker, Mar 24, 2020.

1. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Hi HopefulOleTrucker I too was over 400lb at one time. I’m not as tall as you, I’m only 6ft 1 but when you’re tall you carry the weight differently so people don’t realize how heavy you are and how much you’re still able to do. The weight will eventually kill you. But you already know that. I also had older family living with me so I know the responsibility you feel towards them and the need to get back to work.

Check out Foodaddicts.org
    Or oa.org If you do OA look for the 90 Day meetings. They work.

First off food addiction is NOT a mental weakness. That is the first thing you need to get straight. For some it may be but not if you are predisposed to sugar addiction. Some people may drink alcohol with no problem others simply may not. Same thing.

Studies have shown that sugar has a more addictive effect on the brain than alcohol, nicotine or even cocaine. Just like any other medical condition, you find a treatment that works and then you do it.

FA has phone meetings so it doesn’t matter where you live you can listen to a meeting.

There is no cost for anything. No membership or BS to buy. Any reading material you may want you can find for free online.

Good luck on your journey.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    SeeJayneRun, rachi, clausland and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HopefulOleTrucker

HopefulOleTrucker Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Yea thanks everyone. I’m going to try and lose the weight. I’m very tall and I can do any physical job though. I just push mowed and weed eated today for 4 hours.

Would my legal past be a deterrent in my career choice?

rachi Thanks this.
  4. Js2k

Js2k Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2020
    I don’t see a criminal history? I see a few minor tickets for no registration no seatbelt?? I wouldn’t worry about it.

Try to get your health/diet in check. Pple that become truckers generally gain weight and their health worsens. You need to be organized and have a good diet foundation or that 475 can turn to 550 and up. I hate dieting and eating right as much as the next guy, but being a trucker will only worsen your eating habits if your not prepared.

You also don’t need to save up 8k either. Plenty of companies will pay for your schooling and give you work. It’s best to pay for it on your own yes, but sometimes that isn’t an option. Goodluck to you friend.

rachi Thanks this.
  5. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Trucking may add to your depression. It looks like freedom and power from the sidewalk when you see a truck go by, but many people behind the wheel are experiencing a psuedo slavery. We are a different class of people and its socially acceptable for all sorts of municipal and corporate entities to prey on us. Cant park here, cant drive there, cant idle for heat or AC. Everything we do is ticketable, everything we do is scrutinized, tolls are extreme, hours are extreme, social loneliness can be extreme, anything we can drive near is priced very high for us. Get two days off then back to the flogging.

Basically i fear it may worsen your depression. Its a challenging thing to balance your emotions out on the road for anyone. It drives some people nuts and gets others hooked. And none of us are rolling in dough.

tscottme and clausland Thank this.
  6. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Its been my experience that after 100 miles hammer down on the open road my stress and or 'problems' would disappear.

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

About half of trucking companies that hire newbies offer Tuition Reimbursement. That's to say they will pay you for your work and also pay some amount ($150 per month, for example) you can use to repay your CDL school loan.

Every CDL school will find someone to give you a loan for CDL school.

The most important thing about succeeding, IMO, is finding the company to work for that fits your needs. I strongly recommend you first find the company you want to work for and then decide how to get your CDL. Some companies have their own schools. Some companies only hire newbies from certain CDL school.

If you find a trucking company that fits what you need it doesn't matter if they require you to sign a 1 year contract or repay for their school. If it's the wrong company for you you will be miserable and unlikely to stay with them 1 year with a clean driving record and good DAC/Hire Right record.

Some of the worst companies in the industry offer "free CDL" school and some good companies also offer a "free CDL" in exchange for a 1 year contract. Ofering a "free CDL" in exchange for 1 year contract neither signals they are good or bad, necessarily.

Your goal should be to get your CDL, if you decide, and finish 1 year of work with no accidents/tickets and a clean record with that company so you can move to better companies. After 1 year of experience without adding tickets/accidents to your current record you can work for MANY more companies which may be an even better fit for you. If you just roll the dice you will have a tough time and you will probably quit the industry quickly. If you find the company that fits your needs/location 1 year of trucking won't be easy, but it will be much easier than working where you don't belong.

I would recommend you avoid CRST and CR England NO MATTER WHAT. The best info about working at a company s from drivers currently working at that company, that live near you, and do the type of work (OTR, regional, home daily) that you are considering. Reading want ads and company web pages will not give you enough info to make a decision. Your research and results will determine how well you do. Don't just "roll the dice". All trucking companies are NOT alike.

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

And then you come to Atlanta and getting nuked by North Korea doesn't seem so bad.

rachi and FoolsErrand Thank this.
  9. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Whats wrong with atlanta? Rush hour is consistently from 5am to 9pm driver.. You need to work on your trip planning!

10. cjbrents

cjbrents Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2013
    All I can say is try it with a few mega carriers. Try TMC. It’s flatbed, and it will help you get into shape. Maverick is another flatbed carrier. Flatbed will help you get into shape. Not sure if there is a limit due to your health concerns or not.

I know of a few overweight drivers with sleep apnea. They still drive. And both were big guys before they started their driving careers. However, both started with a mega-carrier. One with Werner. The other with Schneider. Can’t hurt to appply to a few that you think you’d be interested in. Checkout indeed.com.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.