Want to override qualcomm on Idle time

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Harley Mike, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    I asked the Falcon recruiter about idling. He told us to run it when it is too cold, or too hot. No idle policy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. telcobilly

telcobilly Medium Load Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Laying Low
    With the upcoming legislation and additional driver accountability (CSA 2010/ EOBR) why aren't these co's being held to a higher standard? They should be REQUIRED to install APU's. Marten's idle dropped from from 40 % to 4 % when they did a fleetwide install. Swift was telling us they were more trouble than they were worth? For who?

4. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    Don't work as the price of fuel is going back up and Swift will have to ee where the "to much trouble" lies. In their wallets! As in to much trouble to open it! When their drivers decide that being somewhere that's to uncomfortable to try to sleep due to that moronic idling rule they have and the driver refuses to pay the idling ticket in where ever they are (if the ticket was written to the truck and not the driver as in NY) then they might decide that APU's are well worth the "effort"!

I found that the TriPack from Thermo King is extremely reliable! Rigmaster is to maintenance intensive! You just loose a lot of under bunk storage space with the TriPack but who needs all that junk especially when they fire you way the heck out in the middle of no where and you have to figure out what you want to keep and sell so you can get home!

With CSA2010 coming, fatigue is one of the 7 things DOT will be looking at and guess what? DOT knows which companies have these barbaric idle policies and I bet that they will get hit more than the smaller companies! I just bet Thermo King is the stock to be buying! Or any of the "Better" APU companies!

Another question to ponder: who thinks Swift and the major companies have that many smart people in the office making these rules?

5. BearGator56

BearGator56 "The G stands for GOOD!"

Apr 11, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    You'll be lucky to find a job with most companies when they run your DAC. Route Abandonment tends to send big red flags and will instantly put you in the No Hire pile. Those that will hire you aren't going to be any better than USA Truck, and more than likely will be worse.

If you're not getting treated well, it's one thing, but leaving a valuable load hanging out to dry just isn't the best idea. Complete the load, put in your notice, and leave with a good work history.

Good luck to you.

6. Jack Smithton

Jack Smithton Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2009
    so cal
    What ? What ? (Need 10 characters)

7. Hubcap

Hubcap Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Rhome Texas
    Galvanized bucket over the dome grounded to the frame. I was never here. Or better yet, buy your own truck. start your own company and put an outboard unit on it. If a company is going to squeeze their profits out of the sweat glans of their drivers, why drive for them? I am not going to take a fresh shower and go out to a truck and sweat it out in 10 min.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  8. bigtex07

bigtex07 Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Las Vegas,NV
    ok look, if they wont allow you to idle then tell them to f*uck off. thats your home/office, just like they have a home/office. and i believe ANY company with any tracking devices whatsoever have a tampering policy that is an immedite termination.

9. Al^*

Al^* Light Load Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Kingsport, TN
    My answer would be that it's not my fault that their equipment blew a fuse, which I replaced as soon as I noticed it. :biggrin_255:

10. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Tin foil? Bucket?

For most the brain box is under your bunk. All you have to do is unscrew the antenna.

I remember when I got out of training with Digby for those that remember them.

The company told my trainer to drop me off in Atlanta as she lived in Louisiana. WHAT? I live above Chattanooga. We unhooked the Qualcomm and she took me home and then DHed to her house in LA before she plugged it back in.

The Challenger and Iceman_biker Thank this.
  11. skurvydog58

skurvydog58 Bobtail Member

Nov 28, 2009
    simple fix. set your trailer brake's & release the tractor brakes. truck will idle without shutting down & qualcomm will not pick it up as idling. you overide the sensors by doing this.

Azcannon Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.