WARNING!!!!!! Con way truckload!!! pay atentention to the red flags.

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by MrMatt, May 28, 2013.

1. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Lol Joe. Is that where ur at now? Runnin paper logs working harder just to make 600bucks a week?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mustang970

mustang970 Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    Joe must cut copy and paste on every post.
    "If you tell a lie often enough, people will eventually believe it to be the truth." Adolph Hitler.

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  4. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Heavy Load Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Cape Ann, Massachusetts
    I couldn't agree more.
    Again: 98% of all new drivers will VOLUNTARILY leave their company; most will leave the industry altogether.
    Pay will average (regardless of experience) about 600 bucks a week to work up to 100 hrs. a week.
    If you want health insurance for a family, it will cost you up to a week's pay, per month.
    And for proof, just ask any driver IN PERSON.
    And to all "youse guys" that choose to feign offense and take issue with the above, real facts:
    "There's a sucker born every minute". P.T. Barnum

5. paul_4lp

paul_4lp Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    So our insurance now cost $600 a month ....????

no Joe ....and I'm sure a lot of new drivers quit because of a lack of training right out of the schools

they are gun shy by the time they go out solo after they pass the test

6. seawind

seawind Medium Load Member

May 8, 2009
    West Tennessee
    It seems most companies are only trying to get drivers to come to their orientation like it's a contest. Many companies are waiting to run background checks, etc. when drivers are in town. Companies like Poly Trucking make you wait forever just for a tidbit of information. Poly is a good company, but why they force everyone to wait several weeks is beyond reason.

7. texasbigbird54

texasbigbird54 Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Uvalde, TX
    Yes, this is good advice. I took this advice for the first time and visited the fuel aisle at the Flying J in San Antonio and spoke with drivers a few days ago. Unfortunately, none from Con-way. Two in particular stood out. A driver from big carrier CRST, and a driver from a small independent from California which company I don't remember. The driver from CRST, a company that gets a lot of complaints on this forum, told me he had been driving for them over 8 years. He told me it was not always a bed of roses, but he stuck it out, eventually becoming an O/O. He said he was making very good money.

OTOH, the driver from the small independent hated the job so bad, that he wanted to quit, and he had not been with the company for all that long. He told me the company would not keep his equipment safe, and he had a very hard time getting repairs, etc. Another driver I overheard that was speaking to another driver was complaining about his poor miles. I understood immediately why this guy was not getting as good as others. He was a huge jerk, one of those types of people I would try to get away from as quickly as I could if face to face with him.

I have spoke with enough people in the industry to realize that there are always going to be drivers that for whatever reason don't like the big companies. There are also those that do fine, or at least tolerate them, then move on. Much has to do with the individuals circumstances, and personality. Some people are just chronic complainers that would b#### if you hung them with a brand new rope. Some people have abrasive personalities, but just don't realize it in themselves. They give off that abrasiveness, and it is returned, and they wonder why the company dispatch treats them poorly with poor loads and poor miles. Also, every human makes mistakes, including dispatchers. I have been told that to be happy with any company, you better have a good relationship with your dispatcher. If they learn to trust you, the better loads and miles will come, but you will pay your dues. I for one can live with that.

paul_4lp and mustang970 Thank this.
  8. ECU51

ECU51 Heavy Load Member

No one, not a single person that works on any part of the pre-hiring and or orientation process garuantees anything, never bad never will.
    Not a single person will even "guesstimate" probable miles you will possibly drive..
    Simple case of
    "Driver hearing what's he wants to hear"..
    The only thing they "garuantee" is the door that the key fits into says Conway Truckload

9. chasb7557

chasb7557 Bobtail Member

May 9, 2013

Here are a couple of quotes from the Conway Truckload recruiter's boilerplate email I received July 1:
    "There are few careers where you can go to school for 3-5 weeks and have the earning potential that you get with driving a truck; our student’s drivers average $43,000 for the first year and $50,000 annually for company drivers."
    And: Team pay starts at $.45 per mile
    Owner Operators - $.93 plus current fuel surcharge

Solo Drivers Weekly Average Miles: 2300-2500

Regional Drivers Weekly Average Miles: 1800-2200

Team Drivers Weekly Average Mileage: 5000

Now, I know your emphasizing the word "guarantee" and there definitely are enough fudge words in the email like "average" and "potential" to avoid guaranteeing anything, but though I agree with you that there are no guarantees, you must admit that these lines are going to come across as more than a "guestimate" to a wannabe like me.

I've been following the back and forth in these threads now for several weeks and there is more than enough good advice to keep any reasonable person from believing anything that the recruiters say. But ultimately a decision has to be made about whether or not to go with a new career solo OTR and it seems crazy to choose to go to work for a company that will not even "guestimate" how much money you are going to make. I've personally decided to accept these figures as fudged guestimates and to try to make a decision based on a 2,000 miles per week first year average. I can make that work if it puts me in a position to get more miles year two.

Can still be talked out of it though!

10. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory

They also guarantee that if they hire you,they will paint your cb handle on the door....lmao

11. mustang970

mustang970 Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    Actually they are vinyl decals, not paint.
    Now that's a funny

user303 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.