We don't need you

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by SoulScream84, Jun 24, 2024.

1. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    USLS operated 19 terminals, mainly on the Eastern side of the country, prior to shuttering operations.
    `
    Forward Air is out of business then.

4. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I wonder how these hedge funds get away shutting down, violating the WARN Act?

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

They can just pay you 60 days pay to satisfy the WARN act, or put 60 days pay/per employee on their bankruptcy petition.

6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Private Equity firms are the kiss of death to any business they touch.

7. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

"professional managers" who don't bother to know if they are managing a factory in Berlin or an Air BnB in Congo. Fire 10% of the staff and double the rates for "the product".

9. Chi Town Steers

Chi Town Steers Light Load Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Sounds like politics to me. Close one company, move all the profitable pieces to another, with a handshake and a cigar. Laugh about it while hundreds scramble for new jobs.

10. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    Probably spent the payroll money on bonuses for the board of directors.

11. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    First thing is they don't worry about the penalty. Say payroll for 60 days is $40 million. Running the operation would cost another $30 million. Projected revenue is $69 million. They're going to lose $1 million over 60 days. Once they issue the WARN notice, revenue will drop to nothing in a hurry, as will some variable costs like fuel, but every purchase is going to need to be cash so it's a bit of a wash. They go from losing $1 million to losing $50 million.

Abruptly shutting the doors cuts the non payroll costs to $10 million, so they're still out $50 million. The difference is they still have accounts receivable coming in and they're not burning any cash that's left. These numbers are barely roughed in guesses, but you get the idea - shutting down and paying fines/penalties on top of the payroll can be cheaper than going through the motions.

The next part of Ten Oaks thinking is that they're not going to be paying anything. DOL or a class action lawsuit would be needed. DOL might make some noise, but isn't going to blow their budget trying to get blood from a turnip, same thing for most lawyers. They know that even if they get the judgement, there's only going to get a tiny slice of a miniscule pie.

And that's IF they get a judgement. Ten Oaks is going to argue that they thought they could obtain an operating loan and at the "last minute" the deal fell apart. They'll also make noises about losing customers or contract endings/renewals causing "unforseen financial impacts".

The only way to give the WARN Act any real teeth is if the corporate veil gets pierced if it gets violated. Then Ten Oaks could be held liable for not just the wages but also all the other outstanding debts.

I'd also argue that private equity groups like Ten Oaks should be held liable for all the debts of their holdings. I think that would significantly reduce the frequency of viable companies being plundered of their valuables while simultaneously being loaded with debt. I'd love to have a forensic account with unfettered access go through this whole deal because I guarantee that's what happened.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.