Weight of a 31’ “silver bullet” Great Dane?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Cody.C, May 16, 2024.

1. Cody.C

Cody.C Bobtail Member

May 16, 2024
    Does anyone in here know what the approx van body weighs on a 31’ stainless Great Dane reefer?
    I am considering using this van body and setting it on a gooseneck flat deck rated for 20K.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Why not get the VIN and call Great Dane and ask them

4. ElmerFudpucker

ElmerFudpucker Medium Load Member

May 17, 2024
    It’s probably around 10,000 pounds.

but that’s really just a wag.

5. Cody.C

Cody.C Bobtail Member

May 16, 2024
    Tried calling in with the VIN last week, didn’t get much at all out of the office on the van weight. Or even an estimated weight from GD. 10k would be doable for what i need out of it, Mobil processing unit for halibut, salmon, cod, rock fish, up in AK.

Thank You guys for the replies, appreciate it

ElmerFudpucker Thanks this.
  6. ElmerFudpucker

May 17, 2024
    It’s hard to say for sure. It should be less that 15. A run if the mill 53’ reefer is around 15. The tag is really too worn to read. I would assume the 68,000 number is gross weight. It’s probably rated for a capacity of 30 ton. So that would be 8k tare weight. So the 9,000 number could be tare weight. It will weigh a fair bit less if you are pulling the axles and landing gear. That’s at least 3,000 pounds there. If not 4. But all this is just an educated guess. I have no solid numbers

7. Cody.C

Cody.C Bobtail Member

May 16, 2024
    Thanks for the estimated. I figured maybe around 6-8 “as is” straight off the chassis, but will also be removing the thermo king as well. So hopefully fall into the 5-6ish range for just the van. Still waiting for GD to email me about the insulation they used, any idea if it’s rigid, spray, or even fiber insulation? Will be removing the material on the interior to put in PVC snap-lock paneling for USDA

8. ElmerFudpucker

May 17, 2024
    No clue on the insulation. If I remember right it almost like a spray foam. But it’s been years since I have fooled with one. There is a good chance you will get down to pretty close to the weight you want. You are removing all the heavy components.

9. Cody.C

Cody.C Bobtail Member

May 16, 2024
    I appreciate the information. Once i have it mounted on the gooseneck i can get a true scale weight for anyone who may be interested in something similar.

Thanks again for the replies

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.