Werner Training: Rite of Passage

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by bingdelta, Jan 19, 2019.

1. bingdelta

bingdelta Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2019
    I'm not sure if this is going to turn into just a venting thread more than useful advice or tips. But I'm having a hard time seeing the end of the tunnel.

I started orientation at Werner around the middle-end of November. I had to wait three weeks for a trainer. In that process, I had to drive from Lakeland Florida to Dallas Texas with two other guys hoping to find a trainer there. I almost missed my chance to leave if i didn't hear it from another trainee.

It was an on running joke I had with a buddy if I were to sum up my experience with Werner thus far it's

"thanks for letting me know"

I thought I was doing myself a favor pre assigning every training module the day before orientation to save me time. Well I was the first one to get all my classes done too, but the last to get the badge. Only for them to tell me it was the "drug testers fault". The reality was they forgot about it. So that was my first week. The second week was just waiting. I'm happy I was getting paid but I already knew I wasn't going to see any friends or family for awhile.

The recuriter, folks in the safety department, and some other drivers all told me training is 3-5 weeks. I wasn't really given any direction after that. Rumor had it they are or already in the process of revamping the training and I may have just hit the last of it. We were given a log book and a piece of paper that we were to fill out when with our trainer. That was all I was told about training. And part of me was okay going in blind about it. I knew I was going to be paired with someone I would probably end up hating even if I liked them. I don't do roommates, but it's not my house and I respect the situation.

It was a Christmas miracle because on December 25th I got picked up by my trainer in the middle of a storm, only for him to tell me everything about his life for six hours and tell me I'm sleeping on the top bunk while we were already parked at the terminal which has a hotel on site. Anything I said was derailed. And none of it pertained to trucking or on the job work.

The next day he drove for about two hours, went over some stuff that was already explained to me three weeks ago, and put me behind the wheel.

I've been behind the wheel ever since.
    I'm going on four weeks now.

This is a blessing in some eyes, but I don't know how much I can take knowing the information I know. The second week I asked him how this stuff all works. He explained to me that because he's an owner op he gets paid the same if I'm driving, while Werner company drivers have litterly the exact opposite experience. And I've confirmed this with a few other people. Seems like the company Werner driver trainers never give the trainee a chance to drive.

Welp, this guy that I'm with does nothing. I might as well be solo. He half ### pays attention sometimes but most of the time, I'm on my own. How are you going to realize 30 minutes in to driving 20mph thst I'm in a bizzard? The heck you mean I can prevent myself from spinning out with the diff lock? Thanks for letting me know.

He is the sterotypical "trucker" that society had stamped. He showers on average every four days. (We use HIS fuel cards) I've had to pay for my shower out of pocket twice. And fortunately we stop at terminals fairly often so I tend to get my shower by day 3 max. I tried my best to be on this guy's good side, by just driving, and offering to pick up stuff if we stop somewhere. He expects it now. I get the vibe I'm just a slave to this guy and I'm not getting any respect back

You're getting paid for the 10k miles I've driven you at 41cpm , wow thanks for the value Burger King meal you got me last week because "I'm doing a good job". It sucks you hold that one meal for me refusing to do your laurndy when I half mentioned I may have to do laundry soon. It wasn't an invitation and I'm not your slave.

Some people count by the week, or the day, but I count by the drive time. Unfortunately mother nature has not helped my situation or I'd be at 180 hours already. About a week ago I messaged training about what was needed to become a full time driver. I was told:
    "It's a fluid number, but the goal is 275, but it depends on performance and I've seen people with 180-200 hours" Thanks for letting me know.

If their was a bingo card for truck driving rookies I may have won three times over:
    Black ice, whiteout, snow, tire popped, waiting for roadside, witnessed accident, shutdown for weather, shutdown for 70, going over 11, putting on chains, canyons, etc etc etc.

I'm not saying I'm ready, I'm saying if you put me with a "trainer" who gives me the hands off approach for four weeks. To the point where I'm correcting him with some things, isn't that enough for me to be out on my own? I'm going to make mistakes my first year. You've verified I can drive, follow directions and can professionally drive this tractor in a safe mannor. I will never damage anything by my own mistakes because unlike a lot of guys I do get out and look and assess tricky situations.

I miss my family and my dog. I read online that training is actually six to eight weeks and I almost broke down. Because doing that 275 drive hours equates to like eight weeks, not the 3 to 5 I was promised. This guy is using me as a log book and doesn't give a crap and just needs to retire and get a devorce from his wife. I just want to drive and find my own happy. And not having a cb has screwed us twice now, at a con, and weather.

The only thing I feel really unformfortable with is backing in tight at a truck stop. I know how to back, I'm not the best, it might take me five minutes, but I can get it in. But in my time of hands off training, the earlier I start my day, the easier it usually is.

Again, this is probably more of a vent then it is question. But if you have experienced anything similar, or any advice you can give me to survive this guy to prevent me from hopping around to different trainers, I'd really be thankful.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Every now and then steal one sock until he has nothing but mismatched pairs.
    One time a jerk like him had a special hat he wore so the drivers that saw him often bought two more hats just like the one he wore, except one was a size smaller and the other a size larger. They would swap them out often. He always had a puzzled look on his face because he knew something wasn't just right in his life, but couldn't figure out what it was.
    The same will work with stealing his socks.
    Make a game out of it until you no longer are required to ride with a trainer.
    I made up a story one time about the socks; told the guy that while clothes are in the dryer, static electricity builds up and the socks stick to the inside of pants. Later while you're walking around somewhere, the sock drops out and you never know it because it was a slow process and that's where your other sock is going.

4. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    You pulled that #### with me and my hat you'd be left at a truckstop someday while you're taking a shower. Seems like everybody has a horror story when training at a mega, makes me really glad I had my old man to show me the ropes and not some stranger.

Lepton1, Rideandrepair and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. GypsyWanderlust

GypsyWanderlust Medium Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Waiting that long for a trainer sucks. Being in a low freight area was probably part of the problem. As long as the truck is being operated safely and you get along ok, just stick it out with the trainer you have.

The trainer may not be the best but you won’t speed anything along getting another. If you need instruction on something ask. If you are running into a blizzard, find a place to stop.

Winter has more delays than summer driving and there isn’t any way around that. The most important thing is that if you don’t think it is safe to roll then don’t. If it is questionable, slow it down.

6. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I started with Werner 11 years ago. Longest 10 months of my life. Believe me it gets better. It was literally a horror story for me and if I didn’t have such a sense of humor it probably would have ended my career.

Just focus on what you’re doing and persevere. Trucking is probably the worst thing on the planet for the first year but if you hold out it gets better. Just try to stay positive and know things will get better.

Lepton1, Woodys, bingdelta and 3 others Thank this.
  7. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Tell him you are gay and having feelings for him. Then if he calls it in tell corporate he told you the same thing. Psyops

8. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    That’s cold lol

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Corporate guy might ask you to prove it next time you're at the terminal. Maybe you can just say you have a headache.

10. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Sadly there is a small chance he will call the bluff and try to make out on the spot.
    If that happens you would just have to roll with it and take one for the team.

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    You should be happy, You’re getting a lot of experience. I don’t care Who You Train with, after a few days at most, you’re likely to be tired of them. At least He’s letting You Drive. If it Were Me, We would be running more miles. You’d be complaining about the Truck never stopping. I’d also make you check all the tires, oil, clean windshield and fuel Truck, and pay for my dinner. Lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.