WESTERN EXPRESS LEASE OPERATORS READ THIS.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by wolf98, Mar 23, 2018.

1. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    That's the way it should go.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i can't say that i remember the capacity. i can recall that they are equipped with smaller tanks, to allow more freight, i thinks i once read that some shippers require x amount of freight per trailer load, and to meet that requirement, Prime specs out with less capacity tanks? (someone else can chime in on this)

my company trucks, we have 150 per side, but we run day cabs and maybe all of 15,000 lbs is about all we haul nightly.

a former job i had, day cabs as well, from MA to VA, we had 150 gals each side too. fuel up at each end of the run. (i think that run was "about" 540 miles one way?)

current job, we can go no more than 2 days before a refill, but we get onsite fueling every night, as one driver goes about 40 miles close the the Canadian border, and he has to fuel up in that area, then back at our home warehouse. so it's cheaper for the company to fuel up all trucks nightly, rather than just that one truck, each night.

i should mention too from what i had read regarding the fuel tank size on Prime trucks, at "one time" a lease operator could opt for larger tanks, if he paid for them out of pocket. i do not know if that is still allowed by Prime, maybe when someone buys a used Prime truck is when this can be done for cheaper than say taking it someplace else to have it done?

again, someone that can remember all the reason regarding smaller tanks and replacing them on Prime trucks, can chime in.

TST65 Thanks this.
  4. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Well it does seem logical. Most of the OTR sleepers in our fleet (Freightliners) have 100 gallon tanks on each side but the single bunk regional sleepers(Freightliners and KWs) have 75 gallon tanks,as do our daycabs. Mind you,except the daycabs all of our trucks have APUs so that something to take into consideration as well. We do have some Volvos and new International LTs coming into the fleet but I have yet to see their capacities as well.

5. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i just did a quick google search on the weight of one gallon of ultra low sulfur diesel. it is variable due to the seasons. but "on average" 7 lbs per gallon.

take a 150 gallon tank, that would be "about" ......1,050 pounds PER side= 2100 total

100 gallons would be.......700 per side....1400 total

75 gallons would be..525 per side...1,050...total

i think "the average weight" of an APU is 450 lbs..???

so yeah, even before the APU's, Prime had smaller tanks, to allow more freight for the customers who required it.

TST65 Thanks this.
  6. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    That sounds about right. On average our APUs usually weigh around 350 to 415 pounds at the most,depending on the model (we mostly use Thermo King Evolution models).

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  7. Paul Bunyan

Paul Bunyan Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Im surprised Western is still in business, seems like they have a lawsuit every year lol

TST65 Thanks this.
  8. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    For them..it's just the cost of doing business...lol

TST65, mjd4277 and bigblue19 Thank this.
  9. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Yep , kinda like an infomercial product that they know is fraudulent in some way
    But put it out there anyway knowing they're probably going to get sued for several million.
    But will still clear 10× that.

TST65, Paul Bunyan and drvrtech77 Thank this.
  10. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I don’t know if I buy the pull more freight rationale.

My company truck has 150 per side. 2018 Cascadia full condo sleeper. I can carry 46k lbs of freight. I pull a reefer. Most reefer contracts (that I’m aware of) only require 46k.

I would be more inclined to think it has to do with lightening the truck up for fuel mileage.

That might be wrong, but that’s more plausible to me, especially since they govern the trucks so slow, put skirts and tails on their trailers, etc...

One thing I’m certain of is these large fleets chase every penny they can on fuel. If they can pick up half a tenth on mileage, that adds up to quite a savings for the entire fleet.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  11. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    no, to have the smaller tanks, allows for more freight. yes, in a way, it makes for a lighter truck, this is why more freight can be loaded at some of thier accounts. it's not so much a palletized load, but a cubed trailer load.

as i had mentioned, this was mentioned a few times on some website (much like) this one.

if i can find some explanation to the smaller tanks on Prime trucks, i will post it. but for me, when i ran the road as well (all general freight), any day cab or sleeper i had, had the large capacity tanks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.