What are my chances?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by AllForTheMoneyHoney, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Carter Express has it's own cdl school and has a terminal in Romulus, MI
    Haul auto parts and lots of that is picked up in Laredo, Texas and delivered to various automobile assembly plants. Don't know which drug test is used.
    ~
    CDL-A Truck Driver Job Training Program - Carter Express, Inc.
    1. Carter Express, Inc.
      When you attend training at one of our certified partner schools, Carter Express can sponsor you which includes covering 100% of the tuition costs or offering a tuition reimbursement program. Once you have secured your CDL, Carter Express has a six-week paid training program to prepare you for a successful new career.

2. [​IMG]

AllForTheMoneyHoney Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AllForTheMoneyHoney

AllForTheMoneyHoney Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2021
    Thanks for all the info man! Really helpful

Jarhed1964 and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    If your looking for something more regional they hire new driver and free training. If your in southern Michigan. They also have guaranteed minimum pay so you don't have to worry about running the miles. If you do run lots of miles you get paid for all the miles you drive. They have a 7 day a week fleet and they will pay you $100 extra for 34 hour reset on the road. They have a 5 day a week fleet, so you can home two days every week if you want more home time . Lots of drop and hook loads but also shorter runs of about 200-700 miles

Paid CDL Training and Finishing Program | Entry Level Truck Drivers

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    AllForTheMoneyHoney Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Pretty good deal; 6 mos. contract.
    Hair follicle drug test.

AllForTheMoneyHoney and Brandt Thank this.
  6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Keller has camera in their trucks so that might be a turn off. They pay $125 a day flat rate for training so you don't have worry about running miles. Then once solo you get the minimum guaranteed pay every week or paid for all the miles you run. They have 4 day on 4 day off fleet also.

I would look at YRC. I think they starting their own school also if you want to to the Union way and work your way up thru their system. I think they start you out working on the docks and working night shift and coverings for sick drivers. Their trucks are very basic vs a new Freightliner or Volvo

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  7. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Swift did a hair follicle test when I hired on. Since I haven't smoked any 'stuff' since September 1981, I was fine. My only worry was I have horrible sinuses and take alot of sudafed very regularly and since it is one of the basic ingredients with meth (that's why you have to get it at the pharmacy counter now), I was a bit concerned. I got mixed reviews when I tried to Google if sudafed could pop a false positive on a drug test. However, I guess it didn't, they hired me.
    Anyway, Swift worked out well for me so far. Went to the Academy in Phoenix starting August of 19. Got my CDL middle of September 19 and been a solo driver since November 1, 2019. Still with Swift and no current plans to leave. Pay may be better for me elsewhere, but isn't bad where I am (I'm above 50 cpm) and they have treated me well and been enjoyable to work with.
    If you have patience, reefer is a good option and it's what I do. But, if you're impatient, may want to explore different options. Reefer does pay a few cents more per mile.
    Regardless, there are lots of options in trucking, try one, if it doesn't fit, try something else. I think I'm pretty lucky, I sort of fell into my niche right off the bat. The more I've been exposed to the different options and pros and cons of those options, I just haven't seen anything else I think I'd be happier and suited for than reefer.

AllForTheMoneyHoney and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. AllForTheMoneyHoney

Apr 23, 2021
    That sounds like a sick deal. I'm not opposed to people watching me pick my nose while I drive lol regional is what i was looking to get into after my contract with the company I train with was up. There are so many options out there, kind of makes me mad I didn't look into this before wasting my time with restaurant management! Thanks a bunch guys

Jarhed1964 and Chinatown Thank this.
  9. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I’m gonna give it to ya straight fresh fish. This is the hard cold fact of the matter. The chances of you lasting 6 months is slim to none. That’s a cold hard fact.

1. Sweet thing might say she’s behind you now, but wait till you’re gone for 4-6 weeks at a time for a couple of runs.

2. Just wait til you’re out on the road all alone for 4-6 weeks for the first time in your life. Most guys be crying for mamma. This job ain’t for most pilgrims. It ain’t a job pilgrim. It’s a lifestyle

3. ANYTHING that doesn’t go right and according to plan is YOUR fault!

Sound good yet?

4. What do you think about sleeping in a space the size of a closet in a piss smelling truck stop parking lot every night for 4-6 weeks at a time for a couple of years while you gain experience?

5. You up for driving in rain, hail, snow? I-80 in Wyoming is like ice hockey rink in the winter and the wind howls 40+ mph all the time across there. How about going down an 11% grade in West Virginia where the only thing between you an death is you keeping your wits about you and playing it strictly by the book?

This sounding good so far?

6. You ever driven through the east side of a hurricane? Let me tell ya son, it ain’t for the faint at heart.

You think you’re up for all that? Give it a shot. Again, new drivers stand about a 10% chance of lasting 6 months. That’s a fact!

Why do you think those of us that make it can leave one seat today and get into another tomorrow?

Don’t take this the wrong way. It’s a great way of living for those of us that get it. But, if you think you’re going to just go through a 3 week school and then be big shot trucker, think again friend.

This is a lifestyle and it ain’t for candy #####.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but just keeping it real bro.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  10. AllForTheMoneyHoney

Apr 23, 2021
    No offense bud, but you come off as a super trucker. I didn't say I'd be a hotshot 3 weeks out of school. In fact, I said I would put my nose to the grindstone which implies there is a lot to learn. Don't assume you know my relationship. And I'd cry for my mama but the dead don't listen well. I understand what you're saying but that literally just made me think you're ignorant and arrogant. Sorry to be harsh, 'bro'

Tyler8509, Jarhed1964 and slow.rider Thank this.
  11. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    There’s a thread on here titled
    “The rookie “

it documents a new drivers first 12 months.
    You should read it.
    The rookie

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.