What are some good companies to work for

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Payup22, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Payup22

Payup22 Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Spokane wa
    Hi I'm looking for companies in central California that take people fresh out of trucking school and that can give a sturdy schedule. no on the call and it may be a long shot but companies that pay good around 3k+ I have a few friends that say to expect about 2k I'm okay with being on the road a few days or working nights thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Do you have any endorsements?
    How old are you? Some companies have minimum age requirements.
    What do you mean about 3K? Do you mean 3K dollars a month?

4. Payup22

Payup22 Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Spokane wa
    I have my hazmat, I'm 22 ,and yes $3k+

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Shouldn't have any problem making over $3K a month.
    First, ignore "experience required" on any trucking companies websites, otherwise you may miss a good opportunity. Many companies are bending their own hiring rules these days.
    Check these:
    Mountain Valley Express - line haul
    Wildwood Express - line haul
    Oak Harbor Freight Lines - line haul
    Old Dominion Freight Lines - line haul
    Dynamic Transit - long haul refrigerated
    Gardner Trucking - runs lots of day cabs
    Northern Refrigerated Transportation - runs CA,OR,WA,AZ,NV,ID
    @moloko may have some suggestions on local jobs.

BrandonA24 and Payup22 Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some of those line haul companies do short runs, such as to Las Vegas, Reno,Phoenix and return home.

7. duckdiver

duckdiver Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    @Chinatown i know you like to mention mountain valley express a lot but when I worked for dot foods we shared their yard in paramount (los angeles). The drivers there told me they only start at 17 an hr which i think is peanuts especially for ltl. They would always ask us when we were hiring

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Their website has $18.50 an hour. I don't know; it's somewhere to start anyway. I think they have some team runs to Texas and back.
    $3K or $4K a month is easy with some of the long haul companies
    Some of those foodservice companies like where you worked at DOT foods pay really well and sometimes hire new cdl grads as drivers helpers to get started. Sysco sometimes does that and DOT Foods may still do that.

9. Snowshoes

Snowshoes Heavy Load Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Pleasant Grove, Utah
    I drove for Andrus out of St. Geo, UT in 2011. I spent a great deal of time in Cali particularly on 5 and 99. And a great deal of time in the L.A. area.
    I am not sure if that is what you are looking for, but it would not hurt to give them a call.
    I got allot of miles and actually took home more per week with them than I did when I drove for Crete.
    They are not LTL, and it sounds like you are wanting local, but, if it is some interest, give them a call or go onto their web page.

10. jgarciajr40

jgarciajr40 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Any local Pepsi distributor should pay you a minimum $35-38,000. 3k a month is cake walk to find my friend.

11. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    What you should do, is go haul tomatoes for Antonini Fruit Express all season. This can easily transition into a permanent job with a set schedule at Antonini Freight. Where in Central California are you looking? They're hauling tomatoes from Bakersfield to the Modesto canneries right now. you could make easily $1k per week doing this but it's a 7 day a week gig.

You're gonna pay your dues one way or another, but do consider taking advantage of the agriculture season that is in full swing right now. Most companies will recognize an entire tomato season as 1 year of service. After you get a year of driving experience, you could go haul gas and deliver to gas stations. That is a good gig for sure. Let me know if you want any other suggestions.

Northern Refrigerated is pretty good for central california. There's a terminal in turlock, about 25 minutes south of Modesto. And a terminal in Fresno. They take new drivers and offer excellent benefits. They also have a hybrid pay structure between hourly pay and stop pay, and you'd definitely be making $750 a week there. You could also be home fairly regularly but they'd make you run regional for a while. You'd be home a couple times a week starting out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.