What are the worst parts of the job?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by driven.inc, Jan 22, 2018.

1. JohnGER

JohnGER Light Load Member

May 5, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I felt like these two posts go together better than reality gave me.

RoadRooster Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I drive locally I actually like my job for the most part. I live in Western ny and drive milk truck. Every job does come with things that are less then ideal though.
    1. The pay structure sucks. I don't get hourly, daily pay. If the farmer is not ready it comes out of my time.
    2. Snow and icy roads. Slows me down and again no additional pay for driving safely.
    3. Extremely cold weather makes getting going in the morning a real challenge. Truck runs poorly, frozen valves frozen pumps..

Job is much better when the weather co-operates

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    That's the thing about places like western NY. The weather can be absolutely brutal or absolutely beautiful. Averaged out over the 4 seasons, it's whatever you want it to be ... bad or good, depending on your POV

48Packard Thanks this.
  5. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I don't care for snow much. I have to maintain safety of my truck. That means slowing down..... No additional pay for longer days.

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I think slowing down on snow/ice is a given. However, in my situation, I don't get paid for highly likely potential of missed multiple days due to missed appointments, so driving slow across 200 miles of bad road beats the hell out of the result of me parking for 24 hours hoping for significant improvement that may or may not materialize.

TripleSix Thanks this.
  7. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    It takes an act of God to shut down milk trucks. The cows don't know it's snowing hard and the milk tank needs to be emptied once a day. Otr guys will be shut down and I will still be on the road. Dairy is both good and bad but without question in demand

8. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Worst part of the job? - Dealing with anybody that works in a cubical.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.