What can you have in your truck?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Brucely, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Brucely

Brucely Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about like being healthy if I'm going to go into truck driving.

And so, while I don't care about getting fat... I do care about eating the right food.

I don't want to be limited to donuts, fast food, and friers.

So I'm thinking about what exactly how to do this... Is there a refrigerator that you can plug into a truck? Will that cost too much battery power? How about a microwave to heat up homemade food?

Or maybe, is there a way to just have like a small electric cooker with a pot for boiling vegetables? I have no problem stopping by a farmer's market or some kind of natural food store real quick for some veggies to boil during a stop.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Do you know the guy that owns the truck in your avatar? He posts on here sometimes.

Brucely Thanks this.
  4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    You’ll need a pretty decent size inverter to run a small microwave, depends on what the company allows in the truck.

I used an ENGEL for years. Proper fridge designed for OTR use. It will freeze as well.

Brucely Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We had a generic brand reefer for the under cabinet in our tractor. It would store anything temporarily. Since we were a team truck and never ever shut off batteries were not a concern.

The fridge we had would cool to 40 degrees below outside air so if it's 70 in the cab, it will try it's best to get to 32 or better. Alot also depended on humidity. It was easier to do so when the weather outside was wet.

Cooking was either a small frying pan off a 12 volt for things like eggs and bacon etc. Or a pair of dutch ovens that took half a day to cook a meal such as ham, small onion, small taters and some sort of green When it's ready it's ready. Cost comes out to about the same.

Once a week we ate a proper meal with salad etc in the truckstop or some place good.

The one thing we did not do but could was to nuke the food. There is only so much interior space at that time in our Century which was a good truck for what we did with it. Most of it was food and fluid storage. A 10 dollar Mr Coffee rounded out the situation off a big inverter. We go through several alternators a year but it's a small thing to replace one.

Bins beefed the storage space up top secured with a harness.

Food and fluid was not the only thing. We carried a toilet and refills for it. Even the cat litter box had refills etc. The only thing we needed at the truckstop was fuel. Showers too, but we were careful about those.

Brucely Thanks this.
  6. Brucely

Brucely Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Lol... Optimus Prime posts here? He's the best trucker :D

spyder7723 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I don't think he has any food in those kids cartoons. Much less actual work lol.

The foods we had were not that great, spouse had to stop due to excessive weight gain. Once we changed our diet things improved. But not on the road.

Brucely Thanks this.
  8. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    crock pot, they even have 12 volt ones, get a tub to put it in for the bumps

9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Apples, oranges, pears for a week. No refrigeration needed. Dozen cans of soup. Dozen cans of veggies. 3 or 4 cans of tuna. Again no refrigeration needed. You can take a 5 pound bag of spuds, and microwave one, poof, instant baked potato.
    I make 4 or so pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast, tubs of salad, and sometimes a tub of stir fry at the house. I use a large ice chest with a bag of ice. Usually throw in a bad or two of baby carrots. Sour cream, sometimes butter.
    Loaf of bread, jars of peanut butter & jelly, again no refrigeration needed for those.
    Use the truck stops microwave, they have no issue with it. About 75% of shippers and receivers have a microwave you can use.

austinmike and Brucely Thank this.
  10. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    small camp stove, get out and use them tables in rest area, or burn the truck

Sirscrapntruckalot and Brucely Thank this.
  11. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Ozark puts a 1500w inverter in every truck and will remove the passengers seat for you to put whatever you want right there. I have a 3.2cu ft fridge/freezer and strapped on top of it is my microwave. All held in place by a piece of plywood my dad cut for me that uses the seat mount bolts to bolt to the floor. Several drivers of my company and others have asked to see how I did it, and also to take pictures, etc.

1500 watts is plenty for me, and I run an 1100w microwave. I have a TV in here, the fridge, microwave and my laptop. All can be on at once and the inverter keeps rocking along.

Brucely Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.