What didn't you learn in driving school?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JustSonny, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Longhood379

Longhood379 Medium Load Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Cremona AB
    I have no drivimg school experience to relate, when I started you had to work your way up start in a lumber yard with a 3 ton ,then tandem ...you can fillin the rest.
    I just have a few points If you can get on with an in town company moving trailers to warehouses, or maybe haul some gravel to get comfortable around trucks
    On the chain up topic a lot of US and eastern C eh N eh D eh trucks have 22.5 or 24.5 lowpro rubber if you get one of thes trucks chain it up dry and make sure the chains (triples refering to the number of parrelel to the tire chains) won't take out suspension or brake components . Triples should be ok on 11R-24.5s . when you chain move the truck and recheck then , watch them in the mirror
    If you end up in BC in may or september you might need chains, and I believe you are supposed to carry then year round in banff park (They didn't name Storm mountain for it's rain bows)
    "If you aren't scared at least once a day for your first year you are eithrer real cautious or should find a new line of work ".:biggrin_2553:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
    JustSonny Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    I am going to school through WIA. I already have my written test out of the way with all the endorsements. I also have 5 pre hire letters.
    It is not the program, but the person going through it that makes the difference. But I understand the point you were making!:biggrin_25511:

4. luvtheroad

luvtheroad Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    There were people in the classes that I took who, either did not ever intend to drive a truck for any reason, but went to school because they could go free or they had to for some kind of free money from the government. I truely wanted to go but I had to pay my own way. I couldn't get funding because I had been in the industry before. Never as a driver but in the industry. Also, there was a person in my classes who got WIA, got his CDL and guess what? He was a convicted felon... He is still looking for a company to hire him. Our tax dollars at work.

I know this is getting away from the theme of this thread but I had to throw that in...

5. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    That can go two ways too, I had state funding because I got laid off. I was only 20 and still had 3 pre-hire's for when I turned 21, I never had an accident that was my fault, or a speeding ticket. I scored a 96% overall and have every endorsement except hazardous. I payed as much attention at school as I could, because the Gov. gave me a golden ticket, one single chance, I could make of what it I wanted. I come from a family of drivers and knew since I was young it was what I wanted to do though, so my instance may be way different that many other who have no clue what they're getting into. I had two freinds that got funded through the state and also did well in school and are both out driving as we speak, but then there were a few in the class who got state funding and had DUI's and all kind's of marks on their MVR. I think the Gov. should check some MVR's before they toss out money, I do agree there.

6. jeepskate99

jeepskate99 Road Train Member

I thought of a better way to describe my driving school. While I was there, I learned everything there was to know about driving a truck. Once I started driving for a living, I learned that I had learned nothing about driving a truck.

7. Truckin<F.N.G.>Trucker

Truckin<F.N.G.>Trucker Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Missouri
    I just graduated from a community college that just opened its CDL training two years ago.. So for the lack of structure, they made up for in a nice variety of drivers with very helpful advice and good stories to learn from. There were union guys, former company drivers and local drivers teaching part time.
    Classroom time was sometimes hypnotic, reading the FMCSR was torture at times but some things are very important like knowing what rights you have as a driver. Time on mapping wasn't stressed enough I think.. But if you can't read a map you're worthless in this industry. Our teacher stressed safety which I took very seriously.
    Almost every day I was on the skills pad I did backing.. Parrallel, alley and 90 (mixing it up on both sides). We didn't know what backing they'd test us on so we did it all (except a blindsided 90, not looking forward to that, lol). I only went in the city once which wasn't bad but didn't get a chance to go in the cave in independence. I did get to back up at a real dock which is another animal but I got it in almost completely straight.
    What I didn't learn was chaining (never even discussed), sliding tandems (discussed but never shown), dealing with DOT inspections, scaling, idleing regulations.. and much more I'll soon find out :biggrin_25521:
    Overall I'm happy with the training I got. The most valuable info I think was the stories from the teachers. Learning from their mistakes and listening to their advice is something I could listen to all day. Some students would get pissy but some of what they said I'll always remember. Learning something new everyday is almost a requirement cuz if you feel like you know everything you become VERY dangerous.

Drive safe! :biggrin_255:

8. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    Never over-drive their abilities?

That's what separates the unseasoned from the well seasoned. But there were times I've decided to go, when I'da rather not. It's as you said though, sometimes waiting out a bad storm is a luxury not available.

If you're a business owner you have an incentive that company drivers don't. If they put a Big truck on it's roof, they'll get the blame, and probably canned. Out of a job. On the other hand, if you fail to deliver as promised, lose customers, you're out of business. I'm thinkin' you'd have more to lose than a company driver with white fright.

Anyway, I don't think we were talkin' about conditions where a
    "little snow fell", but rather when a LOT of snow is falling
    ThanX!

YuP!
    Same where I went.
    And by the way, it may not have been charged to those seat warmers, but rest assured it wasn't "free". :biggrin_25512: SOMEbody, or should I say EVERYbody paid for their tuition. They're called taxpayers.
    And you're correct.
    Some of the schools recruit the homeless, or nearly homeless, who jump at a chance to receive consistency money every week and live under a motel roof for a month. Other than that, they have no motive to pass the class. If they don't pass, the school doesn't receive payment.

Some of those who do manage to pass see Big trucks as a home that offers shelter from the storm, waayyy better than doorways and/or under overpasses.
    Those with a strong desire seem to have a way of makin' things happen, whatever it takes. While those with little or no desire have the trainin' tab picked up for them, and do nothing to deserve it.
    There oughta be a law.
    Good throw! :yes2557:

I sure don't mind helping folks like yourself, Logan. IMO, that's what it's all about, --- helping those who will appreciate the gesture.
    Sure it makes a difference. Some of those applying to be drivers have no aptitude or real desire to become drivers. They're applying out of desperation. Never thought about Big trucks before, except to swear at 'em for gettin' in their way on the highways.
    We now have the new, new breed steerin' the wheel.
    Improvement?
    Time will tell
    I reckon.
    But every time the government tosses out money, it's reported as providing needed help for those who receive said money. Not that it always does, but it sounds better to fudge the results in order to appear as though a government program is actually effective so funding will continue, and the problems will continue anyway, --- often addressed by throwing more money at it.

I'm pleased to read about folks who've made progress as a result of the funding though. And have less respect for those who milk the system.

You ain't alone, Jeepskate. :biggrin_25512:
    I learned that the more I learned
    the less I knew.

Sounds like the school I attended.
    And I agree with you, those stories they related stuck with me after all these years and have been quite helpful many times. But that is usually discouraged as school policy and considered a waste of time.
    Go figure.
    Ahhhhhh, the caves?
    Quite an experience. Pretty tight in thar. I durn near run over Injun Joe while he was chasin' Tom Sawyer, once, 'bout a mile back in them caves.
    When I got my first dispatch to the caves, I didn't realize they meant REAL caves. When I had trainees with me, they'd ask why it was called the caves.
    YeaH, I tell 'em, Imaging if they really ARE caves?
    Wouldn't that be a hoot?
    But what are the odds of that?
    :biggrin_25525:
    YuP!
    I sometimes wonder if those who didn't appreciate those road stories ever came to realize what they missed out on? Then I wonder if one of those types is the driver of the Big truck parked, blocking the fuel island while they eat and take a shower, ....... after a few hours of playin' the Cherry Master game.
    Safety is no accident.
    Keep the shiny side shiny and on top.

kickin chicken and JustSonny Thank this.
  9. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    These misfits in the system cause problems for everyone . They waste taxpayers money , cause delays for qualified students trying to get in school and get hired , and overburden companies with applications .
    But don't preach to the choir here . Write to your Congressman and demand either elimination of WIA funding for driving schools or a very selective process requiring drug tests and background checks . I don't care if wannabes like this or not . There are already far more applicants than available jobs .
    http://www.contactingthecongress.org/

10. snakeskin

snakeskin Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Vacaville, Ca
    I too am a WIA student and have spent hours of research and prep prior to starting school (dec 21st) I studied on my own and passed the cdl test with my hazmat endorsement. The folks at the school say i am head and shoulders above the normal student and that is exactly my plan. I want to learn everthing I can so I can be an asset to my company, my family and myself. :yes2557:

Aftershock..... I am making a list of topics and questions and I will ask the instructors to fully explain (to my complete understanding) eveything on my list. Is my list going to be the endall for a rookie trucker? I doubt it, but I am constantly in this site looking at everything that even remotely seems likely to help me in my new career. I have found education even amoungst the snivlers and disgruntled. Sometimes ya just have to read between the lines and you can tell when someone is just passin gas!:biggrin_2554:

I plan on going with a company out of mazoola montana and am somewhat concerned about driving in the snow and ice because at the school I am going to (sacramneto ca.) they wont have any to drive in, but the orreintation at the company says they will make sure I can drive safely and chain correctly as needed.
    Please keep up the great work and service to our industry! There are those of us out here who very much want to be successful and are proud of the oportunity and the tradition of the American Trucker.:yes2557:

JustSonny Thanks this.
  11. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    Speaking of shutting it down...I encountered an interesting situation yesterday.

I was on my last delivery before going home, I delivered to Kellogg's in Grand Rapids, MI. It was a "hot load must be delivered on time" (a designation ive NEVER seen before, i guess it was supposed to be a team load). Anyway, the way I was dispatched, i barely had enough time to get there without stopping at all. It was swapped to me for the last 6 hours, but i had to take a 10 hr break first. I could do it without stopping, except...I had to fuel on the way. And no, i absolutely could not have fueled before taking my 10 hr, would have still delayed my delivery the same.
    So I fueled at the Flying J in Benton Harbor, the most local fuel stop to my home. I did that cause i know i could get in an out quicker than any other stop. I-94 in the Benton Harbor Metro Area (what a joke) was icy, so traffic was rolling pretty slow, but i rolled on because i was told it cleared up on i-196..

As always, i sent the proper messages on the qualcomm to let the company know why i was late, before i delivered. The worst thing you can do is be late and just deliver late without contacting the company.

I-196 got a little bad between Holland and Grand Rapids, but not like 94 was. But I got off the highway into town, and OMG.... They had a foot of snow (it was a couple of inches back in benton harbor), the city streets were very snowy, all the street signs were covered with snow and unreadable, and I had been on the CB the whole time getting info on where my turn was, until someone was like...hey werner, you passed it! This moron was trying to get me to do a uturn, im like...in this traffic? Anyway, I went around the next block (all truck routes), cool, i got there. 45 minutes late. I lost about 20 minutes in the 5 miles of city street driving, mostly from street signs being covered with snow. :)

What can i do? I came in, they looked for me on the load lists, i pointed out the appointment was for an hour ago, ok, they found it....They didnt say a word, they seemed to totally understand and were very cool with me. They had me put it in the dock and unloaded me ASAP. they wanted those cornflakes. :)

This was the first time ive ever slid tandems on solid ice. I almost couldnt slide them, but customer required it. I had a driver tellin me that i forgot to release my trailer brakes cause i'd been struggling with it so long. LOL.

By the way, I don't even carry chains. I never run out west. But I do run in a LOT of long steep grades, and I think I ought to have them in case i need them, but I have to buy them if i want them!

JustSonny and kickin chicken Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.