What if a load gets delayed until the following day?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Dino soar, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I am on a load today that the shipper is very slow loading me.

The broker seems great about detention but I'm wondering if they hold me up too long I'm going to miss the appointment at the receiver.

I don't know what's going to happen but if they tell me that I have to miss the appointment and the load has to get delivered tomorrow do I just deliver it tomorrow or is there any additional fee involved?

Just wondering what is standard procedure and what is fair in that type of situation.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Kinda depends. What's the generals of the load? Like, were you picking it up, running it straight through? What were they paying you against what kind of mileage?

4. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Read your rate con?

Call broker/recip?

Communicate!

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  5. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    Through similar experiences, I developed a stamp I attach to my ratecons that spells it all out front. Here's an example of the stamp I use. Make it hurt and they won't want to delay you.

Mr Broker: "Those rates are unreasonable."
    Me: "It won't be an issue if there are no issues."

Attached Files:

alds, User666, roshea and 10 others Thank this.
  6. JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes Medium Load Member

Aug 23, 2019
    From a general overview, If our team books a carrier on a load, they are on time for the PU appointment and they are delayed at the shipper, we pay them detention for the time over 2 hours. If it ends up that the delay causes them to miss delivery and they need to layover, we pay that instead, sometimes we pay both if it ends up being they really lose a day and a half versus 1 day.

If there are late fees for the missed delivery we pay those as well. Again, assuming driver was on time for pickup.

7. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    Thanks, Jimmy. You are absolutely correct and it well bears worth pointing out this is a two-way street. You can't complain about the other party if you don't do your part. For drivers, do your freakin' job. Get out of bed and deliver on time. Pick up on time. Communicate.

I am justified in my hard stance because I am a consummate professional. I am reliable as the day is long. I always deliver, and I deliver no later than on time.

I really believe it is not an issue of driver vs. broker. The shippers/receivers need to feel the heat to make them start to hold their schedules and start moving trucks. I personally would encourage the brokers to work with the drivers to include stiff penalties to the s/r's to ensure they do their part to get us moving. Create an "industry norm" of hammering down on the guys in no hurry to load/unload a truck.

8. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    Well, that’s it, I’m going to work for someone who doesn’t expect you to work 2 hours for free.
    I’m going to Celadon.

Trucker61016, stuckinthemud and PPDCT Thank this.
  9. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    They should pay layover.
    It is $150-300 a day per common practice so it is not something to be happy about.

User666 and Dino soar Thank this.
  10. brianv31

brianv31 Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2010
    IL I-74 mile 149
    Too often in general freight, shippers book trucks they cannot load in a timely manner
    There is no excuse for booking a truck that has to sit 10+ hours before loading beings, but it happens

alds and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  11. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Well actually everything worked out. I got the load there literally about 10 minutes before the appointment time.

It does bring up an interesting question of what to do in that situation. Yes it was an early morning pick up straight through delivery.

Yes I absolutely would communicate with the broker I was just curious if that were to happen how you guys will handle it.

Trucker61016, 86scotty and PPDCT Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.