What if DM /dispatchers were paid and treated the same as Truck Drivers?

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by BigSam, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

I'd add:

Must work 11 hours a day, then take 10 off. And on call at all times. 7 days a week. So there's freight on the weekend, and no "Call me at 9am tomorrow" voice mails. (this might go for HR and other services too)

BigSam and simplyred1962 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tootles

Tootles Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2009

Well sidewinder429, since you have it so bad why don't you enlighten us by starting your own thread...... perhaps like, What if Truck Drivers were treated and paid like DM / dispatchers?

4. LostSoulCA

LostSoulCA Medium Load Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Visalia, CA
    I am loving this thread. The only thing missing is clear communication between two levels of operations. There isn't a single employment position at every level that at some company, somewhere the peter principle isn't demonstrated, from mail room to CEO.

I see a lot of drivers say a new dispatcher or DM should spend a week in a truck. I think the same applies to the drivers. Since that can never happen maybe applying some good communications principles would solve a multitude of problems.

Please don't get me wrong. I am neither taking sides with management or drivers. I'm looking at this from a leadership and organization point of view. I'm saying that if the whole team weren't so self absorbed there would be fewer problems.

There needs to be a lot more empathy from the office for the stuff the drivers put up with as they conduct business and visa versa from the drivers. There needs to be a healthy dose of team spirit taught to both sides.

There, most certainly, are some idiots in the office. But if drivers think for one nano-second that there aren't many single minded self-righteous cowboys out there (personal hygeine aside) that can be the most difficult jack-a##es to deal with, you are living in a fantasy world. I'm talking about the whining, crying, lying, Rick Yemm types that need a good paddling. Bad DMs and dispatchers are the product of senior management not addressing training and standards for clear concise communications.

These problems have nothing to do with truck drivers and operations. They are prevalent in every industry. These problems can be solved but not without empathy and understanding from both sides.

Incidently, DMs are in the position to take a proactive approach and correct the problem without management approval. A good DM would take the necessary actions to improve harmony and productivity using management and leadership tools that are free. (Sorry DMs, that is the way it is)

Now, go ahead and rip me up. Won't be the first time and as long as I am involved in leadership consulting, it won't be the last.

sidewinder429, luvtheroad and KO1927 Thank this.
  5. MUSTANGGT

MUSTANGGT Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    Along that line of thought, there has always been the misconception that one must experience life behind the wheel to be a good dispatcher.
    Nothing could be further from the truth. A couple of the best managers I ever had, had no driving experience. What they had was excellent organizational skills.
    And just because somebody is a former driver doesn't mean he has any compassion for you. I've known former drivers who were terrible dispatchers. It depends on the individual first and foremost.

luvtheroad and simplyred1962 Thank this.
  6. curtmann

curtmann Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Kansas City, Mo
    It would also help if Dispatchers didn't make you feel like you are putting them out for you calling on them to solve their problems on their end. A little more interest in helping me do my job will spark a little more interest in making their job easier. I know there are bad attitudes from both sides, but there's no reason to prevent anyone from making a living, IMHO.

simplyred1962 Thanks this.
  7. Hurrycne

Hurrycne Bobtail Member

May 30, 2009
    Goldsboro, NC

Must keep a extremely detailed "Daily DM Log" showing/highlighting every activity for every minute of every day, for as long as he holds the position.

Must show all changes of duty status from actively typing, talking on the phone, using just the mouse, coffee breaks, meals, etc.

Must flag for location changes w/i building, computer reboots. network crashes.

Must perform "PTI" on computer/workstation before start of each workday and after any break where line-of-sight with computer is lost. (PTI - Pre Typing Inspection. Inspect/Clean monitor, remove outer case of comp., trace every wire/connection for operability, blow out cooling fan, check hard drive to ensure its secure on motherboard, ensure all chips/cards are properly installed/secure, voltmeter powercords and ground wires for operability. Must remove/clean/replace every key on keyboard. Inspect/clean mouse - if trackball; remove/clean ball and contact points. If it's a laser mouse, must ensure light being emitted is within normal operating parameters [to be established at a later date by select goobermint committee]. Ensure office chair is in proper working condition - wheels, adjustment levers, inspect/clean desk top/sides/bottom for optimum efficiency.)

No restroom breaks while on-duty, cannot use any office restrooms while off-duty unless spends $50 or more in company gift store.

Possible log book set-up:
    Line 1: Off-Duty
    Line 2: Coffee Room/Common Area
    Line 3: Typing
    Line 4: On-Duty; Not Typing

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
    curtmann and BigSam Thank this.
  8. Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2007
    PO Dunk Idaho
    Ive had dispatchers that let me wait hours for a load cause they had theyr head up theyr arse and giving a load that was to be mine to another driver that unloaded behind me, not to mention dispatchers who give you a route to run only to find out trucks arent allowed on certain roads or there are weight limits not allowing big rigs,, did the dipatcher look this info up before giving you the route? NO and they dont care, you notify them of this and they say oh well find your own route then just make it with in the mileage limits, so yes dispatchers either need to go out in a truck for six weeks like a newbie or not be a dispathcer thinking they got the whole world by the tail cause they can tell a driver what to do. either be a good dispatcher with a brain or go home.

9. luvtheroad

luvtheroad Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I think you're correct about being treated right. I don't know how big the company is that you work for but in some the dispatcher wears a lot of hats. Many dispatchers have to talk to customers and do all the work that's needed to get a load(s) together as well as dispatch and help the drivers with what their needs are. How many customers and drivers does that one person speak with during one day? Sometimes the stress level is overwhelming in the office just as it is on the road.
    I once called a company and was put on hold. They didn't have the canned music or how wonderful the company was, they had a nationally known comedian that you listened to while you were on hold. The dispatcher told me that was the best thing his company had ever done. Kinda soothed feathers a tad while the person was waiting.
    What we all need to remember is that this is an industry that has a extremely high degree of stress and it's not just one job, it's most all of them.
    Sometimes, just having a person say "hey there, how are you doing today, how's everything and what can I do to help you" etc. Just hearing something like that can make all the difference in attitudes.
    All of us need to remember that we're all doing a job. And it doesn't take much to treat a person with dignity and respect while doing it.

tucker Thanks this.
  10. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Now that's a great post.

luvtheroad Thanks this.
  11. curtmann

curtmann Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Kansas City, Mo
    Dispatchers are people too, but when they can make you sit for an undisclosed amount of time (8 days) because you "hurt their feelings" over telling them (kindly, mind you) that your family was starting to get hungry, there comes a point of "power abuse". To top it off, took 6 more weeks of insufficient runs to get the company to agree that my pay problem wasn't actually my problem. He was blatantly trying to force me out. That's too much control for them to have over my life, plain and simple. On the flip side, The nasty drivers that never learned the golden rule make them that way. I think if the shoe was on the other foot, both drivers and dispatch would find a whole new way to get along. I do believe that a dispatcher should have pay based on his/her driver's productivity. "you scratch behind my ears, I'll scratch behind yours", and all the bills get paid, the dog gets some treats, the young'uns get some ice cream, and maybe dad can save up for a little time off this year. Oh yeah, and mama gets that new baby hauler she's been needing for a couple years now...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.